1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 3.8 Liter V6 from North America

Summary:

None too shabby for a hand me down

The engine needed replacing very shortly after I got it.

Front windows don't work.

I don't get the mileage I was expecting.

General Comments:

You wouldn't believe the power this thing has.I've outrun many "sports cars" and seen them in my rear view just kind of shaking their heads in disbelief.

Currently working on upgrading the audio.

Having trouble finding performance upgrade parts.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2004

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 3.1 V6 from North America

Summary:

When equipped with the 3.1 liter V-6, this car is a suprisingly quick, comfortable vehicle

To date, the only thing that has gone wrong with the car is the passenger window is slow to close.

General Comments:

This car, when equipped with the 3.1 liter V-6, is a sleeping performer. Acceleration off the line is impressive compared to much newer vehicles.

Torque steer with the V-6 is evident.

The interior is roomy and comfortable.

Review Date: 16th October, 2003

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 2.4 Twin Cam from North America

Summary:

Durable spacious and peppy

-Rear Passenger-side power window needs work.

-1 of 4 Ignition Celonoids replaced.

-Ignition computer sensor replaced.

General Comments:

Very comfortable car, seating is very soft and pliable.

The car would perform better with the V6 option, however the 2.4 4-cyl is peppy.

Handles like a sedan, not too bad on corners.

Has proven very reliable in the short time I've owned it.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2003

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 3.1L V6 from North America

Summary:

This car was thrown together.

The major problem with this car is that is has always run too hot. The temp gauge is almost always up to the line right before the red. Every time I would take it back to the dealership, they balked me, but always ended up replacing something, either to pacify me, or to bilk the warranty company, or both. When the engine finally blew at 80,000 miles (the day after they replaced the thermostat, which was the 12th time I had it in for overheating), they finally realized that I knew what I was talking about. After the engine rebuild, it was OK for a couple months, but now it is starting to run too hot again.

General Comments:

I am pleased with the acceleration and gas mileage of this car.

It has a killer sound system.

I like the styling of the car.

However, the good points are clouded by the engine overheating and the arrogance of the dealership service personnel.

Review Date: 18th December, 2002

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva Sedan V6 from North America

Summary:

Great bargain if you maintain it properly

The electronic tracking system and the Anti-Lock Braking System light won't go off.

The check gages light stays on.

The water pump was replaced within 1 year of ownership of the car.

The ignition would not turn the car on after a part was replaced because of a recall.

Motors went out on all the windows in 2000.

Fuel tank door has to be pryed open in order to purchase gasoline for the car.

General Comments:

The car gets great gas mileage on the highway.

The sound system is fantastic.

Review Date: 21st November, 2002

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva SL 2.4L from North America

Summary:

Expensive to repair

In this order, I have replaced master power window switch twice, coil, alternator, front brakes twice since used purchase, water pump (front seal shot.. noticed this on other comments here), bought front seat cover as it has worn poorly, paint job did not hold up very well.

General Comments:

I will say that the car has been reliable with exception of water pump. I expect the replace something on air conditioning as I lived in Florida while owning it. For some reason tires wear poorly on this vehicle. I would say that it is not a comfortable car for a tall person, say over 6 feet, but then either was my Sunbird.. also a GM product. The 2.4L quad 4 engine is expensive to repair. Most typical parts like alternator, serpentine belt, timing chain, water pump require lots of labor to fix or replace. Engine is designed such that a lot has to come off in order to replace something.

Review Date: 31st August, 2002

1997 Oldsmobile Achieva from North America

Summary:

A great first time car for a nice price.

I had to replace the alternator at 75,000 miles.

I replaced the rotors and pads at 80,000 miles.

General Comments:

I like the way that I feel safe when my son and I are in the car.

I like the way that it looks like a sports car.

I like how the car is small enough to fit in "little spaces," but big enough for my son and I to feel like we have enough room.

The quick acceleration is a plus too.

Not enough leg room in the back it's a little cramped for an adult.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2002