2004 Oldsmobile Alero Reviews - Page 2 of 8

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous carOldsmobile Alero

Summary:

Second to none

General Comments:

I'm the second owner. The Alero has been excellent. It is very fast for a 6 cylinder car. The stereo is great.

The only problem so far is I had to change the rotors.

The way it drives now, I can't see any problems; it should go at least 200,000k without any repairs.

The GLS model has very option except heated seats.

I've driven many cars, and the Oldsmobile is as good as any. It's too bad GM stopped making them.

Review Date: 14th March, 2012

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL 4 cylinder from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carDodge Neon

Summary:

Not a good idea

What hasn't gone wrong with this car?!? It seems that every time that I turn around, there is something else that needs to be fixed.

Brakes needed to be replaced at 20,000 miles (this car eats through brakes like nothing I have ever seen before - and I am not rough on the car or brakes at all!)

Strut mounts needed to be replaced at 23,000 miles. I started to hear a crunching noise when my car would hit a bump, and I took it into the dealer (thank goodness I had bought the extended warranty with the car). They replaced a few other things before they were able to determine that the strut mounts were causing the problem. Of course when you have those replaced, an alignment is needed as well.

Caliper seized at 25,000 miles. The passenger side caliper seized, and unfortunately didn't produce any symptoms. I drove around all summer without knowing that anything was wrong - there was no shaking of the wheel, pulling, or anything. I simply had taken it in to have the oil changed, and I decided to have the tires rotated (thankfully!) when they discovered this problem (and I had just put on new brakes 5,000 miles prior). The pad was completely gone and it had worn out all of my other brakes too! It would have cost me $4,000, but I had the extended warranty, so thankfully I didn't have to pay for it, besides the time and frustration).

The gas pedal tends to stick in the cold weather, which is annoying because I know that I'm just using up more of my brakes to stop the car.

I'm just waiting for something else to go wrong with this car. Can anyone say lemon?!?!

General Comments:

This car is sluggish and doesn't accelerate well until you have the pedal down on the floor.

The seats are comfortable after I added lumbar supports.

The radio, CD player, and instrument panel have never given me any issues.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2010

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL from North America

Distance when acquired19444 miles
Previous carOldsmobile Alero

Summary:

Finding someone to work on it

I am having a terrible time getting anyone to work on this car. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Off warranty, obviously, but even so, anyone outside of where it was originally purchased giving song and a dance. Dealer themselves lost the manual and never went over the details.

This car was purchased by a family member who didn't care, and I am stuck with it. I have no clue. Can't sell yet.

Review Date: 15th July, 2010

2004 Oldsmobile Alero from North America

Most recent distance112000 kilometres
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

Great for the price

I bought the car with 91,000 k`s, so it was about the time when things like rotors needed to be replaced, but so far it's run great without problems. I make sure all maintenance is done on time.

General Comments:

I am enjoying the car.

The engine is a 3.4 litre and has surprising power.

I installed a Pacesetter exhaust system, which sounds nice and adds power.

Also installed K&N air filter, which I hope will help the engine.

I really look after the car, and I know it will look after me.

Review Date: 20th May, 2010

15th Apr 2012, 15:48

I wrote a review on the 2004 Alero back in 2010. I mentioned I installed a few performance items.

Well it's been two years, and I am very happy to say the Oldsmobile Alero has stood up to aggressive driving, so I don't understand why anyone who would have anything negative to say about the Alero.

It was a sad day when GM closed down the Oldsmobile factories.

Lots of power for the size of engine, and not bad gas mileage.

I receive lots of compliments on the appearance; it's loaded.

Don't be afraid to buy an Alero.