2004 Oldsmobile Alero Reviews - Page 3 of 8

2004 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.4L V6 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Alero

Summary:

This is the best car I've ever owned in terms of reliable service

2 wheel bearings had to be replaced.

General Comments:

Other than routine maintenance, I have paid virtual pennies to keep the car running.

It currently has almost 173,000 miles on it, and still runs incredibly well.

The interior looks almost new.

Review Date: 19th April, 2010

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL 3.4 from North America

First year of ownership2009
Previous carOldsmobile Alero

Summary:

For the price, it's number one

At 94.000 k's, front rotors needed replacement.

Otherwise, the car has been problem free.

General Comments:

I have always done preventive medicine on the car, eg. regular oil changes etc.

I look after the car and it has been very good to me. It has a great stereo system, and I removed the original tires with an upgrade and it rides great.

For a six cylinder it has lots of power.

Every option except heated seats.

Fantastic automobile.

Review Date: 4th January, 2010

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL 3.4 from North America

Previous carOldsmobile Ciera

Summary:

I am very happy

Nothing, the car is almost in perfect condition.

General Comments:

The car rides like a sports car.

It is fairly quick for a six cylinder so far. It has been very reliable.

The radio is great.

I have nothing but good things to say about Oldsmobile.

Review Date: 15th August, 2009

2004 Oldsmobile Alero from North America

Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Summary:

Sick of replacing wheel bearings

I have had to replace the wheel bearings three times. I had the right front wheel bearing replaced on 2/14/06, the left front wheel bearing on 2/12/07 the right front wheel bearing on 3/14/07 and I have an appointment to replace the wheel bearing on 3/19/08. My mechanic is going to check and see which one if not both need to be replaced. No one can seem to figure out why the wheel bearings to not last.

Other than the above problem I love the car. No other problems.

Review Date: 13th March, 2008

8th Apr 2008, 13:09

I just had a left front bearing replaced at 43,000 miles. While I was very surprised by this problem occuring the replacement part carries a lifetime guarantee so replacing the same bearing again won't be a problem.

9th Apr 2008, 13:05

I understand what you mean, I have the same problem with mine; it's a 2004 and I've changed already 3 times the bearing.

23rd Apr 2008, 21:01

I have a 2004 Alero with 83000 miles on it and I am having both front wheel bearings replaced. I will have a lifetime replacement with these but hopefully I won't need to use it.

19th Sep 2008, 14:53

There is a grease fitting to your bearings, and at the auto shops they usually won't grease it. If you grease them when you get your oil changed, they will last sooooo much longer.

24th Feb 2009, 10:22

I am about to replace my front wheel bearings for the 3rd time! Yet I am at 94,000 on my 2004 yet my mechanic says the brake pads look like new. Nothing else has ever been a problem. I'm glad I'm not alone!

8th Mar 2009, 22:15

I own a 2004 Alero and have replaced both front wheel bearings, and just now I'm reaching 60,000 miles. So far this is the only problem I have had, other than the car is sitting on the side of the road currently waiting to be towed to a repair shop because it will not start. After talking with my mechanic, the conclusion is it sounds like it may be the starter. Guess I will find out tomorrow.

3rd May 2009, 17:05

I just bought a 2002, and the bearing is done and now it just quit on me, won't start... Sensor or something?

30th Nov 2009, 15:40

I had a 04 Alero GL with the 2.2L ecotec. Nothing but trouble from the first day. Brake rotors at 11k, 23K and again at 29K. Wheel bearings, the ignition control unit and finally the transmission failed at 41K (no I didn't get the extended warranty..) finally traded it in for a Honda. Only got 2500 dollars for an 04 car with only 43K miles on it. Looked awesome and the ride was fine when it was not in the shop.

2004 Oldsmobile Alero from North America

Distance when acquired20000 miles
Previous carKia Sephia

Summary:

It is a money Pitt!

The day I got the car I had to replace the rear breaks. and have already replaced front and rear breaks since then. I have owned it since July of 07 (7 months). The woman I bought the car from said that the cell phone outlet had never worked. As I explored the dash I realized that certain dash lights like radio lights were not showing. The over head light comes on sometimes, but not always. I figured it to be just a fuse that I could replace easily. Upon close inspection I found melted and shorted out wires behind the dash. I replaced the wires and got a new radio. I have to service the thing more often than most cars. This time I had to take it to the mechanic. I had to replace a baring today. I am sick of this car. Every other month it is a trip to the mechanic. The interior is cheap and hard to clean. I totally will not buy another Oldsmobile.

General Comments:

I like the general appearance of the car.

However, it is not worth the maintenance and trouble.

I will not recommend Oldsmobile cars beacause of my experiences with this one.

Review Date: 4th February, 2008

9th May 2010, 14:36

I totally agree with this person. I have had my 2004 Alero since the end of 2004. It seemed to be the best thing since sliced bread when I got it. Now I can't even afford sliced bread since making all the repairs.

I have put front and rear brakes on this car it seems like every year and a half. I am putting it in the shop tomorrow again because I believe the rotors are now going bad.

My dome light has been fixed once before, and guess what? It's out AGAIN!!! Every light on my dash is lit up like a Christmas tree, and oh yeah the bearings had to be replaced too, and I think those are going again. I had a guy warn me that he replaced his bearings 6+ times, and that I should ditch the thing. Well I guess he's right. EVER HEARD OF A RECALL, OLDS? That's what should have happened when all these people started having the SAME issues. It's not us, it's the piece of crap car.