2004 Oldsmobile Alero Reviews

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 3.4 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2014
Previous carFord Explorer

Summary:

Better than expected

The car has been very faithful with few problems over the 60,000 km since ownership.

Replaced the front rotors because they were starting to make a noise.

I changed transmission fluids and radiator coolant just for my own piece of mind.

The motor oil is changed every 5,000 km; otherwise the car runs like it's supposed to.

I'm happy with the appearance of the Olds Alero; it's a dark blue with sunroof, and the back spoiler looks very sporty. It has bucket seats with an automatic floor shift, and the transmission shifts smoothly.

Even though I have read good reports about Honda and Toyota, I am young 66 years old and will make this great car my last. It has plenty of power, the seats are comfortable, and the gas mileage isn't too bad.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the radio is second to none.

General Comments:

It's nice to have an Oldsmobile Alero; a very reliable car.

Review Date: 8th February, 2014

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 3.4 litre from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 3.4 litre Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Corvette

Summary:

It has been impressive

Front brakes and water pump.

General Comments:

I am the second owner, and I'm not sure how the original owner treated the car, but I have done regular maintenance, and the car has been great.

Review Date: 30th May, 2013

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GLS 3.4 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013
Previous carOldsmobile Ciera

Summary:

Good car

Replaced front rotors.

Bought new tires at 100,000 km.

General Comments:

I've been very happy with the Alero. It has plenty of power. It's the GLS model, and has every option except satellite radio.

Very smooth ride, and much quieter than most cars I've driven. The radio sounds great, even when the sunroof is open.

Review Date: 26th February, 2013

27th Feb 2013, 20:45

"Like I say, I'm very happy with Oldsmobile. I've had Olds in the past, and they have always been good cars."

- Tell that to THE GREAT GENIUSES at General Motors who did a hatchet job on Olds!!!

3rd Mar 2013, 21:00

It's too bad Olds has gone. I would like to have seen what a 2013 Alero would have looked like. For what the Alero costs, it looks pretty good compared to cars that cost twice as much.

24th Apr 2013, 15:42

I don't understand why GM would stop making Oldsmobile. Maybe the Olds are too good and GM can't make any money on repairs. I've had a few, and never any serious problems. Not like some other brands I won't mention.

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL 3.4L V6 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 3.4L V6 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Alero

Summary:

This is the most dependable and reliable car I've ever owned!

2 wheel bearings replaced (one around 16,000 miles and one around 100,000 miles).

Passenger air bag cover came loose at one corner around 175,000 miles.

Minor transmission leak around 150,000 miles (approximately $50 to repair).

Oil leak and gaskets replaced at 192,000 miles (about $650 to repair).

General Comments:

My 2004 Oldsmobile Alero has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. I purchased this car mainly because of its price, but have gotten really attached! I have done all of the routine maintenance in a timely fashion, and have not been disappointed in the results. As you can see by the few issues described above, most occurred well beyond what many would even expect the life of the car to be.

The car has almost 214,000 miles, and still drives and handles incredibly well. Cosmetically, the car has also held up very well -- the air bag cover is the only issue I've had in that arena. All of the car's controls and features still work very well. The exterior still looks great, with only a few minor dings from lots of road time.

I too am sorry that this car is no longer available. I now use it as a second car for commuting, but still drive it for about half of my road time. I am shooting for 300,000 miles (and beyond)!

Review Date: 4th August, 2012