1994 Peugeot 106 XSI 1.6L petrol from Australia and New Zealand

I've only had it for few months, but have driven a fair amount that many people would drive in a year. Nothing has gone wrong yet.

There are few minor leaks I noticed. I will look deeply into it.

General Comments:

I think 80s and 90s were the time when car manufacturers were really making cars; not like now for the sake of it, and more to do with making commercial sense. Yes, these cars may not offer similar standard safety as modern cars, but they offer a lot of things that modern cars fail to do.

The design is very smart and attractive. Mine is a 1994 XSI, which is Phase 1 sport model. Later on during Phase 2, they discontinued it and came up with 1.6 16v, which is 20 BHP more and called it a GTI. Mine is a 75kw or 100 BHP.

This car offers:

- Very quick for what it is.

- Very fun to drive.

- Excellent handling.

- Great fuel economy for its age and the power it offers.

- Handles like a RWD.

- Comfortable even by present standards.

- Very reliable.

- One of the best super minis there is, which is worth keeping in my collection.

- Rust proof.

- Out performs any other of its competitors.

On the down side:

- They are now very rare in NZ. There are only 3 on Trade Me for sale as I write this review.

- Parts availability is getting harder, but with modern Internet accessibility - it's never hard from France.

- No power steering, and the steering is a bit on the heavy side, but it never bothered me (the Phase 2 has the option, but the Phase 1 right hand drive never came with any).

- The gap between the clutch and brake pedal is tight.

In summary - I bought this as a project car. It came with 10k worth of receipts since new, so was maintained very well by a top euro car workshop in Auckland. The body needs lots of care, which I will give it over the time. I plan to add this to my collection and will keep it as long as I can.

If you're considering one - I highly recommend having one. It will only bring a smile to your face. For very little money, it's a lot of fun.

Review Date: 8th December, 2014

1994 Peugeot 106 XS 1.6 petrol from Bangladesh

Summary:

Most value for your buck

General maintenance, but nothing major.

General Comments:

One of the best cars for the money you can buy. Very fun to drive, handles like a dream, and quick for its size.

Amazed how awesome this little car performs. Much better than a VW Polo or any Japanese model of this super mini size.

Review Date: 26th November, 2014

1994 Peugeot 106 XND Graduate 1.5 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

As basic as it gets, and all the better for it

CV joints on both driveshafts clicking.

Sometimes surges on acceleration.

Driver's seat creaks.

Washer pump was seized.

Heated screen doesn't work.

Rear axle starting to sag.

Radiator is starting to rot!

Usual leaky filter head, bypassed with aftermarket unit..

General Comments:

Well, thanks to the government ripping us off on fuel, the insurance industry wanting its pound of flesh, and the local traffic police and their revenue cameras, I have been forced to downgrade to a small car again.

A trawl of the local secondhand car sites turned up a 106 diesel of 1994 vintage for the mere sum of £300. Considering most 106 diesels are well over £500, this example with 10 months MOT seemed to be a bit of a bargain!

I've owned several Citroen AX's in the past, and the 106 is basically an AX clone. The 1.5 engine and gearbox were identical with the AX one, so I knew it would be reliable. The clicky CV joints were pretty much to be expected too. Possibly it doesn't handle as well as the AX, more down to wear and tear than any fault of the car. The cheap price means that it won't break the bank to overhaul the suspension if I decide to keep it for a while.

Comfort wise, apart from the excellent heater, the car has no mod cons at all, not even a 12v socket! Which after my adventures with an old Audi A4 was something of a relief. The paintwork is faded beyond redemption, being a matte white colour now, and the aluminium sunroof surround will need rubbed down and repainted; jobs for next year.

Of course the only reason anybody buys a 17 year old diesel 106 is for fuel economy, the car's major good point, despite being allegedly less aerodynamic than the AX and having more miles than my example, it's much easier on juice; I'm averaging over 60mpg. Admittedly I seldom exceed 60mph these days, but it's cheaper to run than most small cars. Certainly, if it keeps going, it cannot depreciate any more.

The car is 17 now, and is getting to that dangerously endearing stage, where more than the car's worth will be spent on it to keep it going, but in these austere times, a gradual replacement of all dodgy parts might well work out cheaper than buying something else with problems of its own.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2011

3rd Jan 2012, 10:02

I like your review above, and you couldn't have put it better as regards the vultures, which there doesn't seem to be any end of. They're all out there, all waiting to feed on us, from corrupt insurance companies to oil companies. I hope you have many reliable miles in it. I am on the lookout for a Citroen ZX or similar, and like you I have driven a B5 Passat TDI, which is almost the same as an A4; no end of pulling power, but costly parts which do need replacing, but no character compared to a little Pug or Citroen.