1994 Peugeot 106 XR 1.4 from Denmark

Summary:

Downtown race car

New clutch at 90,000 km.

Brake pads wear quickly. (could be my driving;-) Changed 5 times.

General Comments:

Nice go-cart;-) Really entertaining handling. You can throw it around corners wery precise, while enjoying the lively rear-end.

The cabin however, is not very well done. It makes a lot of noise from the dashboard and trunk. And it's ugly:-)

The gearshift is poor. It's loud and inprecise.

The engine is superb. Though it only has 75 hp, it still sufficient for some quick acceleration in such a light car. When you reach 120 km/t however, there isn't much left in it...

Fuel economy is OK. It runs about 14 km/l.

Review Date: 5th January, 2003

1994 Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Beast of the B-Roads!

Rocker Cover Gasket has split, and is loosing a small amount of oil.

Also breather pipe from Rocker Cover is slightly loose.

Total repair cost for both approx £25.

General Comments:

What a little 'Pocket Rocket'!! I knew the ides was they were meant to be quick, because they are stripped out, but this is as fast as my old XR2i from the lights.

Looks fantastic, and handles like a dream.

Plus - I could have kissed the girl in the Post Office when I only had to fork out £57 for the Road Tax - All my other cars have cost £88 for 6 months, and this one is quicker than most of them!!!

Only complaint would be high revs above 70mph. It's not really a Motorway car, but it will eat most cars for Breakfast, Lunch, and Supper on a B-Road!

Review Date: 23rd July, 2002

1994 Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A Nippy Fly-MO

New battery and starter motor at 40,000 miles.

New trim over front wheel. Note, dealer unaware that they existed, hence dealer comments. Also £100 for a piece of plastic.

General Comments:

A roadworthy Go-Kart.

Nice look on prestigious car drivers as you fly past them on major roads.

Even better look when hammering down twisty lanes.

Why do people panic when having a nose at the rev counter.

Am now fully aware of the lift-off oversteer with a couple of close shaves with inside kerb.

Slight problems. Am I the only one with an ashtray that doesn't want to stay where it should. I know they wanted to keep the weight down, but having an ashtray and not having a cigarette lighter seems a bit odd.

Disappointed when finding out colour code. Red. Hot or flame. No. The official colour is cherry, sickening.

Review Date: 18th June, 2002

13th May 2003, 15:03

The cherry red on Peugeot is driving me crazy!!!

It is so hot, I love it! M-m-m-m, only thinking about it... Unfortunately, today I had just bought a black 106,year 1995, did not really have time to hunt around... Will share my comments soon, but really enjoyed the test drive. A definite improvement from my old and unfortunate Opel Corsa'87.Someone crashed me badly last week...

15th Apr 2005, 05:47

Ahhhh yes the ashtray, yes my 106 1.1 XN also has the same problem as well as my mates 106 1.0 XN! You're not the only one out there :)

16th Jun 2005, 12:27

I have a 1994 1.4 XS and I also have the ash tray problem! Apart from that and the limited drivers foot well space the car is great to drive!

17th Feb 2006, 09:46

Probably not an ashtray there because peugeot didn't want people to smoke while driving. More dangerous than on a phone if you ask me. Sorry to be a bore, but just witnessed a massive head on accident between two cars when one veered into the other lane while picking up a burning fag...

4th Sep 2006, 11:12

If you think smoking and driving is that bad, then please go ahead and ban stereo systems, satnav, passengers, pets and anything else that might distract your attention.

Let's not get into the nanny state frame of mind please.

Oh yeah, 106 Rallye - stunning car. Got a GTi myself, but I regard these highly.

16th Nov 2007, 10:49

I also have the ashtray problem, it flies open as soon as I accelerate, throwing coins everywhere. All 106's do it.

I have owned 2 series 1 rallye's, 1 series 2 Rallye, a 1.4 XSi and a 1.6 XSi. They have all had the ashtray prob. Also 3 of the 5 have leaked from the aerial into the interior light!! Small things that don't even bother you once you on an open (B) road. These cars are amazing, and you can't beat the look on VTR owners face's when you tell them they just got spanked by a 1.3.

4th Feb 2009, 17:17

My ashtray is in the boot somewhere.