1994 Peugeot 106 XND Graduate 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A fantastic little car, reliability is excellent, as is economy

Front pipe of exhaust broke off at 103000 miles

General Comments:

One of the most reliable cars I have owned.

Never failed to start, whatever the weather.

So economical, I would definitely buy another one.

For a cheap little car it has a more expensive feel about it.

Review Date: 25th February, 2004

29th Mar 2005, 08:05

I have a Peugeot 106 XND Graduate and it's great. I bought it 2nd hand at roughly 65000 on the clock, I think. I'm about 75000 now and I've only had the few normal problems. I've replaced the exhaust, the alternator, the clutch fork and the rear windscreen heater doesn't work anymore. You may think that all this sounds like a bit of a hassle and at first I thought so, but when you think about how fuel economic this car is, how cheap insurance is and how much space is inside, nothing else really matters. Cars get old, but this one just keeps going. I would definitely buy this again and have an unrelated comment to now add: The daihatsu Cuore is rubbish!! That's me, David. :-)

14th Sep 2007, 05:14

I owned a 1.4 diesel version of this and I have to say it was bullet proof! Once the breather pipe got blocked which resulted in all the oil getting forced out of the gaskets, and unfortunately I didn't realize I was driving around with 4 passengers giving the engine a lot of stick for several hours wondering why it had become very slow! There was no visible engine damage at all, I drove it for another 10,000 miles after that with no consequences!

I also had to replace the alternator and had the clutch fork welded must be common on these. Other than that is does have quite appalling electrics, but with a bit of patience anyone could sort that out.

Overall a very good first car though reliable amazingly economical and doesn't suffer from the metal moth like most small cars tend to!

1994 Peugeot 106 Rallye 1.3 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

You won't stop wanting to drive it

Battery and alternator needed replacing.

Head gasket blew at 42k before I owned it.

Wheels started to rust, but only £30 each to replace.

Drop links and anti roll bar bushes.

General Comments:

An extremely fun car to own and drive, with a rally honed engine producing 100BHP from just 1.3 litres. This power comes from the standard uprated cam and head, multipoint injection, and tweaked induction. This matched with a lack of sound deadening to save weight equates to a quick car which sounds incredible on induction. It corners flat due to an uprated rear beam, and steering is direct and weighty under cornering. 0-60 is under 9 seconds and the car is only insurance group 9. If I was to find a problem it would be expensive parts because of the car's rarity. The drop links (front suspension) cost three times more than they would for a 1.1 106! Performance air filter is a must!

Review Date: 7th December, 2003

1994 Peugeot 106 1.4 XND Graduate 1.4 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Economical Bargain, Go buy one!

My rocker cover gasket had a very slight leak, only a quick job to fix it.

Apart from usual things like tyres, bulbs etc.. I can't fault this car.

General Comments:

The reason I bought this car, was to replace my 1990 Ford Fiesta XR2i, which was costing me a fortune in repairs, fuel, insurance..etc.

I can't really fault my 106, OK it might have a bit of a "girly" image, but I wouldn't hesatate to buy another.

Performance wise its no XR2i (But I didn't think it would be!) But what it lacks in performance it makes up for in economy and reliability.

Whatever the weather, it starts first time every time, and never misses a beat.

I have to travel 25 miles to work everyday so this car is ideal, plodding along at 55-60 returns about 75mpg!

Even town driving returns good mpg, basically I can't get less than 50 mpg, which is great!

The seats are comfortable and supportive, and the interior of the car is well laid out and easy to use.

In summary if you are looking for a cheap (to run & insure!), reliable little car, look no further than a 106 diesel, I wouldn't swop mine for anything!

Review Date: 12th November, 2003