1994 Peugeot 106 Ski 1.1 from Jersey

Summary:

The BEST car I ever had

Timing belt snapped.

General Comments:

This car was the best car in the world.

Although it broke, I would give a hand to have it back. If you have this car and it still works, be proud of it.

I could manage 0-60 in 10 seconds, and was very quick off the mark. 1.1 is all you need nowadays.

I now drive a Ford Fiesta LX 1999, and this car is pants compared to it.

It was so comfortable, I even decided to have a sleep in it after having a couple of drinks.

Review Date: 24th March, 2010

28th Nov 2014, 07:45

Is the snapping of the timing belt due to the fact that it has to be changed after 100000 km or five years, and in this 15 year old car and ~125000 km it never was?

14th Dec 2014, 23:21

Recommended frequency is 80-100k if mostly city driving, otherwise it can be pushed to 120k km if open road driving. Not sure if the year is a key factor. I got a 1994 XSi, and the cambelt was first changed at 143k after 14 years from new. These are amazing cars as far as reliability goes as well as comfort, but people do need to do the minimum; it's best to change the cambelt every 100k and service it every 10k.

1994 Peugeot 106 Mardi Gras 1.4 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good value for money and great as a first car

According to the MOT and service documents mine had a new engine a few years back, but this was mainly due to negligence by the previous owner. Other than that not much. Paint work has faded which appears to be a common problem.

General Comments:

+ Fun to drive, cheap to run, easy to maneuvers and park, looks good.

- Cramped in the back, paint work faded (common problem as it seems).

Review Date: 6th November, 2007

1994 Peugeot 106 XR 1.1i from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Good runner and first car!! not just a car for the ladies

Left Side Drive shaft needed replacing.

Cigar Lighter shorted out.

General Comments:

Very good first car, I've seen a lot of reviews complaining about the pedals too close together which is true, they are close together, but it took me about 5 minutes to get used to that, its very cheap on petrol can do a 40 mile round trip every work day for about £15 - 20 a week depending on how I drive it, accelerates well for the engine size, out accelerated a 1.3 '96 fiesta earlier today which was a giggle, doesn't like going uphill too much, but that's nothing to worry about as when you get used to i, you learn how to handle uphill slopes.

Can keep up with traffic on the motorway, but the engine makes quite a bit of noise, the inside cabin is of a very good build quality, everything seems to work fine, not too plasticy.

Very good first car and a good runner has served me well 9/10.

Review Date: 27th November, 2005

1994 Peugeot 106 xnd diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Economical 2nd car

None to date.

General Comments:

Ideal second car, for local driving. Cheaper tax and insurance groups, but best of all delivers 60mpg round town. By no means a fast car, but has trouble keeping up with traffic. Fairly basic, but that means there is not to much that can go wrong. Despite its size can still accommodate 2.8 metre lengths of timber from the DIY store.

Although it will do 70mph+ it is not really suited to motorway driving. It lacks power and acceleration, so needs a patience and caution joining traffic flow and accelerating. Probably could be used for long distance driving, but it is really a town car.

Review Date: 15th April, 2004

3rd Jan 2010, 12:05

I bought one with 55K on the clock for just £325 recently. It is my run around car, because my RX7 is just way to thirsty to drive all the time. I'd say I prefer it cruising on the motorway than round town. I took it up to Skye recently, and it cruised a dream on this 450 mile trip. Just keep in the slow lane, cruising at 55mph and enjoy the relaxed engine note, 75MPG, and the comfy seats. Really like my little bargain.