2003 Peugeot 206 Reviews - Page 2 of 6

2003 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 2.0 litre from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 litre Manual
Previous carVauxhall Astra

Summary:

Extremely fun to drive, and safer than a motorbike

General Comments:

I think this car is excellent to drive and faster than the Clio 182. I drove a friend's Clio and wasn't impressed.

The only complaint I have about the 206 is the clutch; I have not had the car long, but can't seem to get used to the clutch. Anyone else had any bother, or is it just the norm? It doesn't feel as smooth an action as my Vauxhall Astra did???

Review Date: 18th September, 2007

2003 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2004
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carAlfa Romeo GTV6

Summary:

Would I ever buy one again? NO

Water pump had to be replaced at 35,000Km. Warranty is a joke. The main reason I bought a new car was that I would not have to deal with breakdowns of this nature.

Seems I was wrong.

General Comments:

The Peugeot 206 GTi is reasonably quick, and handles reasonably well, but it is not something to get excited about. My 1985 Alfa GTV6 is an exciting car to drive (and a lot more reliable than Peugeot) but this is not.

Some features we thought were cool when we bought it now seem to me to be downright annoying.

The wiper system can sense rain on the windscreen and start the wipers automatically. The wiper speed increases with increasing rain. This is a distraction and a nuisance when driving. There is no manual setting for intermittent wiping, so I now activate the wipers manually for a drizzle, and at normal speed for heavier rain.

Headlights that automatically turn on are another nuisance. It may be that I am turning into a grumpy old man, but, when driving, I like to be the one in control of the vehicle.

Recaro seats in this model means that the rear seats do not fold flat when using the rear cargo area, a disadvantage if wanting to load larger items.

The car is hard on tyres. Expected in a front wheel drive, but this car is hard on the rear tyres as well. Have now fitted Kumhos so we'll see if these are better.

Review Date: 22nd August, 2007

25th Aug 2007, 07:46

Don't get me wrong - I am no Peugeot enthusiast, but I think rating a car 1/10 for reliability when the only thing that has broken is the water pump (which was covered by warranty) is harsh. I agree it shouldn't have broken, but many more things could have! I am also fairly sure that the wipers are programmed to go quicker when it rains heavier - this seems natural to me.

2003 Peugeot 206 GTi Station Wagon 2ltr petrol 138h.p. from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2004
Engine and transmission 2ltr petrol 138h.p. Manual
Previous carPeugeot 405

Summary:

A great car, but could ride a little better

Air filter box split, replaced under warranty.

Left hand headlight incorrectly fitted, replaced under warranty.

All repairs done at no cost to me by Peugeot service agent, no dealer in my town.

General Comments:

Car is very fast when pushed along.

Handles very good.

Good economy even with climate air running all the time returns average of 38 miles per gallon.

Economical services at 20000kms.

Ride is a little harsh possibly because of the low profile tyres and sports suspension.

Great seats and look good in leather.

Still on original tyres at 49500kms.

Service costs are a little high, but use Mobil One oil which is expensive.

Review Date: 13th June, 2006

2003 Peugeot 206 LX 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Previous carFord Escort

Gearbox needed replacement after 4000 miles, wipers stopped working, and again. Central locking doesn’t always work. And front suspension needed replacement. Isn’t it enough ?

General Comments:

Good looking car, after so many year still attractive, nice car to drive, good equipment, but built quality total garbage. I will never buy another Peugeot again.

Review Date: 30th March, 2006

11th Dec 2006, 13:59

I agree, 206 is a great looking cars, but there is always something wrong. Why do Peugeot design a good car, but let things down with poor quality.

2003 Peugeot 206 1.4 gas from France

Engine and transmission 1.4 gas Manual
Previous carPeugeot 205

Summary:

Sucks

First and foremost, the gas mileage is absolutely atrocious: 12 liters per 100 kilometer. We've had the car checked by two different Peugeot dealers and both say there's nothing wrong. This is an economy car?!

The wheels and brakes squeak. Again, the Peugeot garages say nothing is wrong.

The factory hubcaps keep coming loose.

The paint is badly applied and peeling in places. One of the garages said they would polish a spot and charged us for doing so, even though there was no visible difference in the imperfection. I had waxed the imperfection and water beaded up on it after it was supposedly polished by the mechanic. Conclusion: The mechanic lied, lied, lied.

General Comments:

This car is very squirrelly. It jumps instead of accelerates; the brakes lock at a touch; the car wanders all over the place.

The interior is very cramped. I'm not very tall (5' 8"), but my head hits the ceiling. There's no leg room in back. Also, the car stinks of cigarette smoke. We've done seemingly everything, even steamed the upholstery, but we can't get the stench out.

Review Date: 12th October, 2005

5th Nov 2005, 16:36

If you are French why are you expressing your height in feet and inches?

If you are an English ex-pat why are you expressing your fuel consumption in metric units (which equates to about 34mpg, not excessive and close to Peugeot's claims)

29th Apr 2006, 19:29

I agree!

On the autobahn the car waves to all sides and is NOT stable at all!!! we can only go 110 km an hour, otherwise we feel unsafe because the car starts 'flying'!!! to the point that I am so afraid, that my hands start sweating----seriously!!! and clinging on to the steering wheel out of fear!!!it seems, as if the whole car is just being ripped away under our... seats. I told the car dealer ship about that, and they said: well, we NEVER heard that before!!!...I lived it and I KNOW it's true!

The plastic of the steering wheel is coming off, too!

Or would that be bad/cheap materials used...?

Also, we have had a bad wreck at an intersection, in second gear!!! - the front of the car was gone!!! it looked like a crumbled up coke-can, BUT the airbags NEVER went off!!!???

And now, after only 3 years the car won't drive anymore, because the handbrake BLOCKED the right, rear heel! and THAT, AFTER just having past the inspection last month!!! I will now have to have it loaded up and taken to a shop, since it can't be driven, nice, it??

5th Jul 2006, 03:04

The smell of smoke was not surely the fault of the car, but of the owner who smoked. I have had 2 206s and had no problems at all.

30th Jul 2012, 23:25

Having the car for one month now, and I have to say that it is the most stable car on the road I have ever driven (had a Mercedes, Ford, Toyota), and yeah, it is the most solid driving I have ever experienced!

The problem with this car is misuse; people misuse it badly, and because it doesn't show signs of pain, they keep abusing the car.

I don't have anything to say, other than this car is really good if it has lower mileage.