2003 Peugeot 206 Reviews - Page 3 of 6

2003 Peugeot 206 CC SE 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2003
Previous carFord Focus

Summary:

Style over not much substance

The brakes have squealed constantly since new.

The windscreen wipers packed in after 2 months on the M8 in central Glasgow. This, as you can imagine, was not much fun.

The engine started to misfire after 12 months (15000 miles). This caused the engine management light to come on and the an anti pollution fault to be displayed. This message then turned to 'catalytic converter fault'. Numerous trips to the dealer failed to completely resolve the problem. It got to the stage where I wondered if the car would start or keep going at all.

The final straw came when my exhaust fell off after 2 years (34000 miles). Again on the M8 in central Glasgow. Luckily this was covered under warranty, but 2 weeks later the warranty would have expired. The catalytic converter was shot (surprise!!) The parts alone would have cost over £800.

I have now sold this car as I knew it was going to cost me a lot of money sooner or later now that the warranty has run out.

General Comments:

This was a fun car to drive when everything worked, but that was a rare occurrence.

I loved driving in the good weather with the roof down. (One of the few things that worked every time)

I hated being treated like a leper at the garage because the car was an import.

This was the second Peugeot I have owned and both have been very unreliable. (My other one was a 1995 306XLDT)

Review Date: 10th September, 2005

26th Jan 2007, 02:51

I completely agree. I had it for 3 years and had about 80% of the problem you had. And I am not joking: my 1984 Honda Civic was more reliable and drove better!! Shame on Peugeot.

29th Mar 2007, 03:04

Hi, I thought I was alone! I have had my 206CC brand new since March 2005. The car was four months old when it had the same thing as you. Anti-air pollution and CAT faults. The dealership keeps claiming to fix the problem (5times now) but its still there. I wake up everyday thinking what will the car do today! Will I get to work 40miles away or not?? I have broken down 3 times yet "Customer Care" refuse to offer me any cash compensation unless I buy another Peugeot.. Please does anyone know why would I buy another Peugeot after all the grief and stress caused by this one???

The dealer says I must talk to customer care regarding a rejection, customer care say I should speak to the dealership...I'm going around in circles. No-one is prepared to say that they sold me a "bad-egg", surely not all their cars do this?

If there is anyone who could help with information regarding my rights please reply. I'm truly desperate now.

Thanks.

10th Aug 2007, 15:49

I bought an ex-demo 206cc HDi last June when it was 3 months old. This is my 7th Peugeot and my husband has had another 2. I've never quite had one like this though, faults are as follows...

Power Steering Pump failed at 2000 miles

Excessive rattling in door

Boot light broke

Trim in boot fell apart

Carpet: kept coming out of trim clips, dealer eventually fitted new carpets. The following day could not use passenger seat belt as they had carpeted over it!! A couple of weeks later I could'nt open the bonnet as they had carpeted over the bonnet release handle as well! (I think it's been back 8 times alone for the carpets)

2 faults with rubber seal round the roof

Roof handle / trim fell apart

Water leak from roof

Number plate fixings fell off

... that's all I can remember off the top of my head, but I think there's a few more.

Shame really, good car and fun to drive, but excessive trips to the dealer (which to be fair could have been a lot less if they werent so poor) have made me hate the car. Would still have another Pug though, I've had so many that I know this is not the norm.

21st Aug 2007, 15:41

The cars are rubbish - our 1.4 tiptronic is so poorly built Peugeot UK want nothing to do with it! (see 2003 models - 1.4 semi-automatic).

2003 Peugeot 206 XSi 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Model year2003
Year of manufacture2003
Previous carPeugeot 206

Summary:

Nice, but too many faults

Brake pads replaced due to squeal.

Rattle behind dash in cold weather and when engine cold (not fixed).

A/C Compressor replaced.

Center console display occasionally stays lit (Not fixed).

On occasion, cannot lock car remotely (not fixed).

Whine from gearbox around 40mph / 4th gear. Appears to be gear whine so not serious, just annoying.

Occasional poor selection of third gear (not my driving!!).

Clutch bite point high - apparently unadjustable (always has been).

Radio sometimes refuses to respond to buttons (not fixed).

Floods very easily if it doesn't start. first time in cold weather (rare), but when it does, can be very difficult to start.

General Comments:

What could be a great little car let down severely by build / engineering quality.

On the plus side, when it's working well great fun, not the quickest thing around, but for the money and all that... Keep the revs high and 2nd / 3rd gears are a joy coupled with reasonable handling always puts a smile on my face.

Dealer has been helpful to be fair, but due to numerous visits they have learnt that I do bite and don't let go, so we now appear to have an "understanding".

Review Date: 11th April, 2005