2003 Peugeot 206 CC 1.6 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Nothing short of equilibrium on wheels- a design breakthrough!

Nothing thus far.

General Comments:

I love this car! It is the perfect hybrid between a convertible and a coupé.

It handles like a dream, and the slight noise of the hood during deployment is completely inconsequential when one considers the comfort and safety of it being a hard top!

The roof doesn't leak on my version either, and as I park it on an exposed driveway on the top of a very wet hill in Wales, it's certainly been tested!

The boot space is surprisingly impressive for a convertible also, even with the hood down there is ample room, and with the hood up it is positively vast for this type of car!

With regard to the back seats, okay, they aren't huge, but for the type of car this is they are uncharacteristically comfortable, and, at the end of the day, this car isn't marketed as a saloon- it's a roadster, and I'm just pleased there are proper seats in the back at all!

Overall, with the exception of individual unit malfunctions (my car has yet to exhibit any of the unfortunate problems expressed in other reviews, leading me to believe they are isolated faults, not design flaws), anybody who criticises this design is missing the point of this car, and it's "fun and yet still practical' ethos.

Well done Peugeot!

Review Date: 6th April, 2005

4th Aug 2005, 08:59

I had nothing, but problems with the car. I had problems with something to do with air getting in the engine which makes a water sound, common from the right side of the car. And the exhaust coming loose.

The dealer has been very unhelpful and saying these parts aren't covered.

16th Sep 2005, 08:33

Those brakes will squeal eventually have no fear!!

Still it is a great car to drive especially the 2 litre version which I have. Get those rear black plastic hoops changed for chrome ones - it really looks 10 times better.

9th Oct 2005, 13:31

Hello, I am afraid that I the squeaking has now arrived! Don't get me wrong, I still love this car, but the brakes began to squeak about a month ago. They were fixed, then started again, and although this was fixed, I can now hear another squeaking from one of the wheels which I really do not like. This is a great car, but do expect bugs to appear if you buy it new.

30th Mar 2009, 15:01

Hi, thank for all your comments. I was considering buying this car, but having read many negative reviews, I have changed my mind. The leak problems? It supports the fact that I very rarely see anyone driving their CC with the roof down. There definitely must be a problem with the roof.

2003 Peugeot 206 SW XSi 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Solid and roomy "mini people carrier"

Stitching came apart on driver's seat. This was replaced under warranty.

I noticed a slight panel shape mismatch between the front offside wing and offside door. After some deliberation Peugeot made it good under warranty.

On occasion the single disk CD player wouldn't change tracks when I pressed the steering column control. Had to turn off the engine then restart to fix this!

When the CD player started making a "whirring" noise I took it back to Peugeot and they replaced it without question.

General Comments:

Driving-wise the car handles beautifully. The brakes are incredible (thanks to the electronic brake force distribution system) and the seats keep a firm grip on you.

As the car was an SW model, the boot space is good for loads of shopping and when required, my bicycle!

If I had one criticism it would be the clunky gearbox.

Review Date: 25th July, 2004

2003 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A beast with no manners what so ever!!

Slight electrical faults, indicators would not cancel, horn was sounding on it's own.

General Comments:

Great looking hot hatch, manages to look fast when parked up.

Gets lots of attention from all manner of drivers, even old people who don't drive hot hatches can't help, but look.

Brutally quick off the mark, amazing handling, fantastic noise! This little car will put many cars twice it's cost to shame, beware & treat it with respect as you will reach your limit far before it does!

Review Date: 24th January, 2004

5th Mar 2004, 15:44

I owned a 206 GTI from new, when we had "W" Reg. I started to hate the car one week after delivery because it felt so cheap and the interior rattled. Not to mention the vast amounts of technical problems it developed. I had the car 8 months, and I swear I will never own another Peugeot or any French car ever again.

I would never buy a 206 GTI 180. If one were to have an accident in this vehicle at any speed, it would be fatal. After all, it's a tin can.

I had a "52" Reg Clio 172, a fast car, but French and built badly.

So glad I bought a Volkswagen Golf 25th Anniversary Number 1566. Germans make proper cars :o)