1988 Peugeot 405 Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1988 Peugeot 405 GL 1.6 from Netherlands

Most recent year of ownership2001
Most recent distance192500 kilometres
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

A good car for a few bucks

Whole exhaust-pipe had to be replaced last month.

Boot leaks water on the left side, don't know where it comes from, but I need to fix this ASAP because I want to use the boot badly.

Car starts bad, checked the carb, nothing wrong with it. I know old Peugeot 405's (and other models) have got starting problems. After a couple of minutes it runs perfect without any problems!

Had to buy new headlight units ($50 a piece.. new)

Heater-fan died of shortage or something. Had to replace that one too.

General Comments:

This car is quite quick compared to my Ford Escort 1.4 :)

It's a nice car, the steering is a bit heavy but the car steers great!

If I want to buy another Peugeot it must be a newer model like the 306 Sedan or the 406 Coupe. No more old crap, I hate the starting problem.

Review Date: 31st March, 2001

31st Mar 2001, 05:47

One last message of me ; if anyone knows how to fix the boot-leakage, please tell me so in a comment on my review. I think water slips past the left rear-lights unit...

23rd Oct 2005, 14:04

Hey, if you fixed your poor starting please tell.. cos I love my 405 but with that starting...

1988 Peugeot 405 DL 1.9 Motronic injection from North America

First year of ownership1994
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.9 Motronic injection Manual
Most recent distance207000 kilometres
Previous carRenault 5 TS

Summary:

Good used car value if you can live with the small flaws

1) Ignition switch @ 100,000 km.

2) Starter motor @ 198,000 km.

3) Faulty voltage regulator (chronic).

4) Electrical connector faults underhood.

5) Oxygen sensor @ 60,000 km (warranty).

6) A/C idle solenoid (205,000 km).

7) Automatic temp. control ECU (200K km).

8) Headlight main beam switch (100K km).

9) Nothing outrageously bad!

General Comments:

A fine car with an electrical system designed by Rube Goldberg. Assembly quality iffy and some components (the less important ones) are of poor quality. The important stuff is well engineered.

Bad wind noise and poor road noise isolation, compared to my 1966 404 Coupé Injection. Excellent fuel consumption (average 7,9 L/100 km - 34 MPG) measured over entire time I've owned the car. The best looking sedan of the late 1980s and still looks modern in 2000. Good work, Pininfarina!

Handles very well for a FWD car, with neutral response leading to oversteer on the limit. VERY entertaining to drive fast and in the snow. Apparently rust-immune body after 12 years. Little torsional stiffness in body compared (again) to my 404 C, though the handling does not betray this.

Engine strong after 207,000+ km and I'm expecting to top 400,000 km with this car. Transmission fine, although a little noisy, indicating some bearing wear (I used to commute to work for 5 years up/down a constant 10% gradient, which explains that). Clutch is still fine and I've only just had to replace all 4 brake discs recently. Needs some front suspension work (bushings, dampers) due to toll taken by cold British Columbia winters.

Original Mitsubishi alternator functions but voltage regulator has failed twice, possibly due to poor design and/or "false overheat" signals which turn the cooling fans on rapidly every so often (corroded connectors in engine compartment?). Still have not got to the bottom of that problem. Has not been possible to buy a new Peugeot in North America for 8 years, and they're worth 25 cents as used cars, so I'm keeping mine forever.

Review Date: 8th May, 2000

4th Dec 2003, 21:26

Follow-up: I wrote the original review and it's been 100,000 km since then. Now, at 305,000 km+, the car is still going. Gearbox bearings are getting noisy and the LF driveshaft is rough, but it looks as though 400,000 km may be within reach after all. No major failures to report in the past 3 years, but a few minor ones: ignition coil, alternator (again, the regulator), all brake calipers were replaced with good used ones. The wipers got extremely noisy all of a sudden and lubrication has not helped at all. Apart from that, nothing to get too uptight about.

5th Sep 2005, 04:30

Ref:-Cooling Fans 'cutting in'.

You're not alone - I've had this on my 1.9Turbo Diesel (UK) for the last three years odd. Thermostat wasn't opening - but wasn't heating up - or even overheating really. Changed it - now great water flow - but no change in fan issue. My car has A/C and twin fans (two stages). I haven't solved my problem either - but hope that you agree that the problem is with stage one fan 'cutting in' intermittently - always around 80C, and for varying time duration. I have replaced 'Bitron' video unit, but am looking now to change the 'Bitron' sensor (Brown - on fuel preheating chamber), as I'm running out of ideas.

18th Nov 2006, 00:34

Another update at the end of 2006: the car now has 350,000+ km on it. My 17 year-old daughter is driving it now, so it is getting some regular work again. Rear discs and pads were changed November 2006, as well as the main handbrake cable.

The original clutch is still in place, despite the novice driver (she is good, I taught her myself) ;-)

Windshield aperture has rusted out in one spot, leading to water ingress. This windshield was replaced in 1996 and the work was shoddy. I suspect the shop scraped the old urethane off with metal knives, leading to the rust. It is not worth repairing, even though the driver's side floor gets wet in the winter. The car's market value is about $500, and the repair could cost more than that.

I like the 405 so much that I am planning to import a 1994 405 T16 4x4 to Canada in 2009.

1988 Peugeot 405 GRi 1.9 injection from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.9 injection

In 104,000 miles: Electronic ignition, a couple of water pipes/hydraulic lines, clutch cable retainer on pedal, cylinder head gasket (driven with burst water pipe), electric windows slow but working, sunroof sometimes but rarely leaks, drivers seat had to be remounted due to "heavy" previous owner.

General Comments:

Heavy on fuel: 22 miles to the gallon.

Reliable.

Ample power.

Looks great in white with spoiler!

Review Date: 13th November, 1999

1988 Peugeot 405 GRi 1.9 injection petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.9 injection petrol

Both front electric window motors have been replaced. Sun roof refuses to slide and is very reluctant to tilt.

The valves were seen to at 85k. We are now at 105K.

A water leak under the driver's door when the wind is in the wrong direction!

General Comments:

A car that has never let me down. Even after standing for a week or more without running one turn of the ignition and it fires.

The car is a pleasure to drive, cheap to run and insure. The power is there when you need to together with the road holding Peugeot are noted for.

Review Date: 18th August, 1998