1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 3.8L supercharged from North America

Summary:

Smooth, fast luxury

I've gone through 5 alternators in 100,000 kilometers.

Stock stereo kicked the bucket after 60,000 kilometers. The CD player quit working. I sent it to DELCO to get fixed, and they estimated the repairs at $300, so I bought a stacker instead.

I just needed to replace the plug wires, ignition coils, and the ignition control module. All at 100,000 kilometers. Not that much though.

General Comments:

Other than the alternator problems, everything has been great. Tons of power, and fun to cruise in as well. I still love it after 100,000 kilometers.

Review Date: 7th July, 2001

9th Mar 2005, 21:46

My first Bonneville SE, purchased new in 1988,suffered from a soft rear suspension. I installed overload springs and made it handle better than a Firebird! I now have a nice 92 SSEI and it needs the same. It seems GM does this to most of its larger cars. Otherwise I like it very much. Pete B. NORTH BAY ONTARIO CAN.

16th May 2009, 15:43

I've had alternator problems too. The mechanic said it was an intake manifold oil leak that was dripping on it and frying it or something, but once that was repaired, I've had no issues since.

1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 3.8 supercharged from North America

Summary:

This car kicks ass

My aunt had the car before me and had a few problems, all were covered by warranty but the lamp monitor constantly says my tail lights are out (they're not).

The only problem I have now is occasionally my dash freezes up except the tach and speedometer - kinda annoying.

The main problem my aunt had was the battery terminals came loose and the repair guys (at GM) said it was the supercharger so the replaced it - $2000 covered by warranty.

General Comments:

I raced a 1984 Monte Carlo with a 350 and smoked him, he never had a chance. I highly recommend the Bonneville, my friend has a Bonneville SE and it's also awesome (not as fast), but nice.

Review Date: 17th April, 2001

1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSE 3.8L supercharged from North America

Summary:

A great performance sedan for a college guy like me

Rear drum brakes replaced.

Master cylinder replaced.

Seemingly unstoppable leak from the passenger front door.

Replaced self inflicted bent engine cradle (oops).

General Comments:

Great power and features. I was looking for a car in June and test drove several in a span of a week and wasn't sure about any. Than I found this one. Drove it ten minutes. Loved it. Bought it. It is comfortable with gadgets to the gills, bells and whistles, as my friends would say. It impresses my high school friends that last saw me in a 85 Buick Somerset. It looks, rides, and sounds stylish.

Review Date: 19th January, 2001

5th Jul 2004, 21:44

Yeah... I find the 92 Bonneville very boxy and uncomfortable to drive. Also, with 103K hasn't needed a HUGE amount of maintenance. But, the entire dashboard is screwy and now I never know how much gas is in the tank because the needle never stops moving. EVER. Neither do any of the other dashboard items -- and there are many. Pontiac wasn't cheap with the gages on the SSE. So, now I get seasick when I drive it. I like to throw in $5 of gas a day to keep it safe. I ran out once or twice. Dammit.

9th Dec 2005, 16:34

I love my Bonneville. I bought it out of a junk yard and only had to put a new battery in (the car had been donated to a charity who sold it to the yard). It does have loads of gadgets and I am still finding new ones. The only thing I would change about my car would be heated seats for the winter. All of my friends fell in love with it. I believe it was well worth the money I spent.

9th Dec 2005, 18:05

How is the '92 boxy in any way? Maybe you've got your years wrong.

1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi 3.8 V-6 supercharged from North America

Summary:

A mobile easy-chair

Had to replace front driver's side bearings at 98K when they made a loud growling noise.

Other than that, nothing out of the ordinary for a car with 100K miles (brake pads, plugs and wires, etc...)

General Comments:

I love it! I've found it to be far more reliable than most people say. I could drive across the country in this car and not feel a single ache or pain. I think this can be a good car for anybody that has the time, patience and money to put into it. I love the power the S/C provides when I gun it, it's VERY easy to pass other cars.

The heater works excellently in the winter, and with the leather it's a to-the-bone heat. The AC is almost too cold, I find myself turning it down and jacking the temp up a little bit after a while on a hot day.

The seats are extremely comfortable. I have the 9-way power option, which means there's absolutely no way to have an uncomfortable ride. The back seats are incredibly roomy, and provide everything a passenger could want (cup holders, ashtray, air-vents, reading lights, storage compartment).

My biggest complaint about this car is that it seems to be leak prone. When I bought it, the guy before me had put some form of caulking or putty in the seals to seal them better. The back passenger side door still leaks, and I can't find the source to save my life.

It's an excellent college car, I couldn't ask for more.

Review Date: 24th December, 2000