1987 Pontiac Fiero Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.5L inline-4 Manual
Distance when acquired242000 miles
Previous carAcura Integra

Summary:

Best friend ever. Wish I had never said goodbye

Let's see:

Dead catalytic converter $200...

That was about it, LOL.

Oh, right. I replaced all of the gaskets. I highly recommend this.

Replaced the EGR, O2 sensor, timing gears (upgraded to aluminum). Highly recommended.

One day it kept dying at idle. Turned out to be the map sensor vacuum line that slipped from the manifold.

The interior was decayed, but I simply began to strip it slowly (weight reduction?).

I had to press all the way to the floor to shift gears.

Replaced the slave cylinder and master cylinder for the clutch system.

Headliner was sagging off.

It began to leak a whole bunch of oil. I knew what was the culprit, but didn't fix because I knew it would come back. It was the oil pan and front crank case cover. Couldn't get a good gasket for it, so just used a lot of sealant. Both parts were no longer good, as the pans had warped from age.

Also cylinder #1 was pretty much dead; was around 102 PSI of health, so that blow by was bursting the seals in that area even more.

Was gonna buy a new engine for around $1,500 bucks straight from Autozone, but didn't.

Needed new tach filter, and the instrument panel lights circuit fixed.

A/C didn't work.

General Comments:

The only fix it truly needed were these. I recommend you focus on these: O2 sensor, catalytic converter, EGR valve and 10-40w oil.

You will eventually need to replace the slave and master cylinders for the clutch line. I recommend you replace the clutch and rear main seal at the same time. This will save you labor in the long run.

When you have to replace the main motor mount, I recommend you get them to replace the oil pan, timing gear cover gasket and front main seal at same time. I know it sounds crazy, but believe me it's well worth it.

It's fast in its own way; I would rev it max to 4k RPM. I'd never rev higher as that would blow the oil pan gasket :P

A cousin even revved it as high as 6k RPM (that cut its life by a lot).

The suspension is real rough, but I loved it for it; it translated every bump and crack on the tarmac. I switched the steering wheel for a GT model; feels great. Just keeping up with basic maintenance makes these into dependable cars.

It passed smog in 2012 with flying colors, even with its dying engine. Pontiac truly made a special car. Don't really care what people say about the Fiero or Iron Duke. The transmission is flawless. It felt like a short shifter, and I mostly never missed a gear when I would let it loose.

Torque really does exist on it, as 2nd gear power induced slides were pretty easy, even on 180 degree turns.

I did some personal modification on the Fiero that made it real unique; just really secret stuff.

I sold it to some kid around my age (21) that really wanted it, so sold it to him for dirt cheap ($650)... He sold it a month later; I have been trying to track it down, lost track of it over at Stockton, Ca.

These cars are truly dependable. No matter what problem arose, the one thing this car never did (unlike at the Fiero forums) was leave me hanging... Well there was that one time where I left the lights on...

If you figure this car out, you'll surprise a couple of Civic DX's from a dig. You'll be with them until the top of 3rd gear. They'll soon be embarrassed to have been kept up with by a "Slow POS car".

All this car needs is a 4-2-1 header (look at the Pennock forums), remove the bypass valve at the side intake panel, K&N filter and 2.5 inch intake piping from the intake vent to the filter box.

That's the last modification... Scratch that... last setup, I would've run on that blue friend of mine.

I recommend 215/60 15 in front and 225/60 15 rear on aluminum rims.

Review Date: 30th September, 2013