1990 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.0 from North America

Summary:

All problems aside, I love this car

Had to replace the original alternator.

Replaced cracking serpentine belt.

Replaced driver's side headlight motor.

Replaced transmission mount.

Replaced brakes.

Converted air conditioner to 134-A.

Got seat covers to cover holes in the driver's seat.

Trunk motor and light are broken, haven't gotten around to replacing them.

Fog lamps need a new fuse.

General Comments:

The car handles great.

It's very reliable, all the problems I have caught before they were problems, except for the alternator.

I don't think that the cabin is uncomfortable, there is a lot of leg room. However my friends and family have complained about the room, and my sister with long legs has a hard time crawling out.

Review Date: 28th September, 2002

1990 Pontiac Firebird Formula 5.7 TPI from North America

Summary:

It will put butterflies in your belly... the

Anti-theft key system failed.

Has blown 4 transmissions. (since I bought it)

Knock Sensor failed.

Oil sending until failed.

Door pins/hinges constant problem.

General Comments:

This car will grab your behind and slam it in the seat. I have run this car very hard in the 2 years I've owned it (drag racing, street racing, etc.), and it still holds up just fine. A few modifications such as custom exhaust, K&N air filter, and air foil were cheap additions that made her even more powerful. WS6 suspension is a dream, it handles batter than any car I have owned. It is such a beautiful car that to this day when I look at it, I can't help, but almost drool. The interior as well is very pleasing.

It has led me to be involved in a few car clubs, meeting wonderful people.

For the guys: This car is a serious chick magnet! It seems everywhere I go, somebody wanders over to me to talk about this car.

Only two warnings to potential buyers...

The 700R4 transmission is simply not strong enough for this car. I advise a seriously built one, or a totally different transmission such as a TH350. Also, be sure it is already equipped, or prepare to purchase Sub-frame connectors. The car has too much torque and will actually crack on the back roof corners from the frame twisting due to the power.

Review Date: 24th September, 2002

28th Mar 2006, 20:56

Next time you blow your transmission have them put in an internal shift kit. It should help some.

11th Apr 2006, 07:33

I just purchased a 1990 firebird formula. It has a 350 tune-port injection under the hood is there any thing I should watch out for? I only paid a $1,000 dollars for the car. Iam about ready to start restoring her to her original. Any advise would be helpful.

David.

1990 Pontiac Firebird GTA 5.0 from North America

Summary:

It's nothing special now, but when I get some $ flowing, it will look nice and go very fast

As a well maintained 1990 Trans Am GTA, numerous things have gone wrong. A year after purchasing my GTA, my left-side injector harness shorted out (costing me ~ $1000 and several weeks).

Not long after, both my AC compressor bearing, as well as my alternator bearing seized up, and in one instance created an engine fire while on a freeway.

Other little things have broke (usually during the cold months), such as the hatch-back release motor, the driver's side mirror-motor, and the dash-vent system.

Currently, I am facing 2 issues with my GTA:

1) While starting the car, the starter seems to stick (making a loud growling noise).

2) Sometime the car won't start completely, due to a security feature gone haywire. Allowing a 5 minute period before trying to start it again tends to fix this issue (although not very cool while on a date!).

General Comments:

Call me crazy, but I still love my GTA despite all these problems. I haven't gotten too wild with it in terms of "maxing it out", but I have taken some pretty sharp turns (WS6 style!). One time I was frustrated with all these problems that I revved the damn thing up to 5,000 RPM right in my work-parking lot. As you might expect, I turned a lot of heads!

Review Date: 26th July, 2002

27th Aug 2002, 08:52

You have a GTA with a 305? Every Grand Trans Am I've seen have 350's in them.

13th Sep 2004, 20:21

I have/had a 90 GTA with a 305, it was a great car... was in an accident a weeks ago and the car was written off... as the numbers of the 1990 trans am GTA's slowly decrease the prices got up. FACT: only 1183 1990 Trans Am GTA's were ever produced 884 in the United States and 299 in Canada.