Pontiac: stick a fork in me, I'm done.
Bought my 2000 GT Sdn 2.4L V6 as a lease turn-in in 2002 at 45K. Now 132K. Lived 7miles from work for three years then moved 40miles from work, so most of miles are highway since mid-'05. I get oil changed every 3k-5k. All other repairs below have been done as necessary.
1. AC/heat fan blower works on 3 or higher. But even when "off" can still feel hot or cold air slightly. AC very cold (too cold on 3) even when 90F+. Heat okay, but takes forever to warm up.
2. Lighter has never worked.
3. Put new tires on summer 2002 right after purchase: $525. Put two new front tires on December 2004: $230. Put four new tires on last month: $480. Had a few used tires in the interim.
4. Brake pads, 12/04. Rotors and brake pads, summer 2007.
5. PwrSteer leak 12/04...I think that one was around $300.
6. At 90k started idling rough. Tune up was around $450.
7. New battery 2004 and again two weeks ago.
8. Power windows: driver's side fell down into door winter 2004-05, passenger windows both repaired 2005. Driver's window is acting up again and keep coming off track slightly, and one passenger window (not fixed before) isn't working at all.
9. Slight coolant leak (external) fixed 2006. Bad coolant leak (internal) at intake valve required new head gasket just fixed $600, with new plugs, rings and oil change.
10. Had the signal problem, but dealer fixed as part of recall.
11. Headlamps both replaced. Now I have to have the covers repaired due to oxidization and pitting; I can barely see one car length at night.
Nice, tight steering handles extremely well. Sits low and wide and holds the road beautifully. Looks great; if only the thing wasn't such a maintenance nightmare. This is my second Pontiac--I had a Sunbird, then Intrepid, now Grand Am. Sunbird and Dodge Intrepid were both in the shop constantly.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 24th February, 2008