16th Dec 2004, 11:39
I have just bought a 2001 Grand AM GT two weeks ago, I now have so many problems its crazy. The car needs an alignment, the widow gets stuck and gets scratched when it goes down, it has trouble starting all the time, the heat is leaking, the key lock is pulling apart, etc. The list goes on and on. The wiper is broke, and now I have to pay for most out of my pocket because the warranty only cover mechanical problems.
2nd Mar 2008, 23:05
We had a 1997 Grand Am and now have a 2001 Grand Am. The 99 was a great car. We traded it because it had a crack in the head and we didn't want to put money into it. It had over 100,000 miles on it. We traded it in for the 01. They look almost identical except the 01 has leather, sunroof and hood scoop. It seems to be quite a bit smaller inside.
The 01 developed a clicking noise. It's the turn signal mechanism. It started less than 30 days after buying it; the dealer wouldn't fix it. We won't trade there again. That was our 3rd car from that dealer, too. Now it's the last one.
It's annoying, but I'll eventually get around to fixing it.
We did go through brakes, but only after about 50,000 miles. On the 99, I had just replaced the brakes for the second time. But it's also a cheap and easy repair. I did it myself both times. Took about an hour.
The CD player never worked in the 99, but that's no big deal. Both cars are ticket-me red. A lot of fun to drive. Quick and powerful.
10th Aug 2008, 10:19
I have a 99 Grand Am that my mother gave to me (she bought it brand new) and it is a complete piece of crap. Over the last several years it has:
- Rotors and brakes have been replaced/serviced 3-4 times
- CV joints have been replaced twice
- Power steering had to be completely replaced
- 3 window motors have broken
- The rubber surrounding the windshield has peeled off
- The vinyl on all 4 doors is peeling away from the door frame
- The dashboard is cracking and pulling away from the windshield
- The rear spoiler's paint is fading and chipping off
- The A/C heat level 1-2 does not work
- The volume control for the radio does not work, it randomly only goes louder and you have to turn it until it decides the volume can be lowered
- The front tires wear terribly
- My overhead interior light fell off, the plastic "bolts" holding it in snapped
- Both review mirrors have been snapped off, both by someone bumping into it while walking
- My "change oil" light stays on continuously, regardless of resetting the fuse or changing the oil
- My gas gage doesn't work, I have to use the odometer to track my fuel use
- The fabric in the trunk is peeling away from the edges (it was cut too short, much like the vinyl on the doors)
Currently, it sounds like a tank and I've put $700 into it in 3 months, and the car is only worth around $1200... so I really don't want to pay for engine work. I have no idea what the problem is. I plan on trading it in and getting a foreign car (I've also had problems with Ford cars)
10th Aug 2008, 10:22
Oh... the Grand Am also has an excellent security feature. Occasionally and unexplainably, a red "security" light will come on, allowing the driver to insert the key and make the engine click, but it will not turn over. You have to wait about 10 minutes for the security setting to turn off, then the car works fine. This is for a key with a chip in it... very fancy! Great when you are visiting clients at their home and you block their driveway because of this "feature".