1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.4L from North America
Great student car
For the life and amount of driving (and besides the known problems with battery/alternator), virtually nothing:
- Battery change @ 195000 kms.
- Burnt oil badly - putting in more oil every 1000kms or so, fresh oil change every 5000 kms.
- Alternator @ 185000 kms & 203000 kms.
- Radiator changed at 221000 kms.
- Brakes (pads only) every 20000 kms or so.
- Cylinder shattered and blew engine at 224000 kms (about where I expected the car to die regardless of how it happened)
Over the life of the car while I had it (3.5 years) I put in about $2000 of total maintenance (though I did the brakes and oil changes myself, really easy). For a 15 year old car, it held together exceptionally well.
The car ran great, a lot of power up to about 110km/h, after that it was a little slow. Again, 15 years old, whatever. REALLY comfortable seats, full power. Stereo sucked, replaced it myself, and that probably had a lot to do with the alternator going so many times.
All in all though, this car was awesome to drive, was a lot of fun, and a lot of curb appeal (lots of girls stopping to check it out haha).
If you can find one with low kms, definitely a great student car, if a little heavy on gas at 17-20 mpg. Take it for a drive and see what you think.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 17th December, 2009