2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Reviews - Page 3 of 10

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1 from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

This is a nice, comfortable car, but nix the Dexcool

The low coolant light came on, which really scared me because GM's Dexcool is notorious for causing problems.

Also, the 3.1 is notorious for intake gasket leaks.

General Comments:

I was very leary about buying this car, being that it's a GM. I had a 96 Sonoma succumb to Dexcool at 75k miles, and a Formula LT1 Firebird tear up at 80k.

However, this car is immaculate and it was only $7,000. It's great on gas (I get a little over 24 most of the time, never below 22 mpg). It's got plenty of power for an everyday driver.

It's got lots of room to stretch out. I love the space because I have a baby, which is the reason I got rid of my 2001 Mustang GT.

I'm saving quite a bit on gas and I love my car. I just hope it doesn't turn out like my previous GM's did.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2008

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

Look somewhere else!!!

ALL four power window regulators have gone out, and now the master switch in the driver's door is intermittent. Drivers door regulator motor replaced by dealer approximately 6 months ago, and it too is going out.

Paint trim peeling.

Air vents don't work without screwdriver to move them.

Struts required replacement at 3 years.

General Comments:

Window regulator replacement is VERY EXPENSIVE ($500/window by dealer), so consider this cost BEFORE purchasing this vehicle. Multiple complaints by owners regarding this poor quality control!

Review Date: 20th May, 2008

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 3.8L from North America

Engine and transmission 3.8L Automatic
Previous carChrysler New Yorker

Summary:

Not too shabby

As with many other reviews of the same car, I see that I'm not alone in my problems with the car.

When I first bought it, there was moisture behind the headlight (gasket).

There was a blower resistor that needed to be replaced.

And some other minor things.

General Comments:

The car handles very nicely, but it's no Camaro.

I would recommend this car to anyone.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2008

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix SE 3.1 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Reliable, but SERIOUS flaws

Nothing major has gone wrong with the car, save for CONSTANT need for new brakes. The car is so incredibly under-braked it's a wonder it stops at all.

The transmission started shifting very harshly not long after I purchased the car, but I was told that its normal.

The headlights seem to be aimed directly at the sky, meaning they are WORTHLESS as I find myself only using the fog lights at night. I had them realigned and buffed which worked for a week or two, but they just went right back to the sky.

The traction control works, but I wish it did not as it almost killed me one night when it took over after going through a deep puddle. It almost steered me directly into a tree!

General Comments:

It's a fairly reliable car that starts on even the coldest morning, and the sound system is very clear.

But who's ever idea it was to put the 3100 engine in a car weighing close to 3600lbs should be fired. This car is the most underpowered car I have EVER had the displeasure of driving. It has NO usable power below 3000 RPM's and takes a little over 10 seconds to get to 60MPH. I also find that I rarely get about 17 MPG because of the constant need to feather the gas to keep it up to speed, as it can't stay at 55 for more than a second before it sinks down to 50 then 45 and so on.

I have heard people say that the SE is good on gas being that it is a smaller V6, but I find myself getting maybe 300 miles out of a 20 gallon tank in a good week! (closer to 250 usually)

Also this car has the worst under-steer of any other car I have ever driven, with an even worse turning radius. Usually I have to make a 3 point turn where most cars can easily make a simple U-turn.

BOTTOM LINE: This car is GARBAGE with a cheap interior!

Review Date: 24th November, 2007

13th Jun 2008, 16:27

Your car must be defective or something. My Grand Prix is great, and goes 0-60 mph in about 8 seconds. The gas mileage is about 21 in town and I've only had to get the brakes changed once since I bought it in 2004, and now it is 2008.

The gas deal may be different with you though; you might be the first one off the line and be a hard braker.