2005 Pontiac Wave 1.6 liter from North America

Great car with some little faults

Had to change brake rotors at around 70,000 kms.

Putting sway bar links on both sides at 80,000 kms.

Have the check engine light on for an emissions leak that I can't find.

General Comments:

Very sporty little car, that is easy on fuel.

I love driving it; find it quick and easy.

Haven't had to do to much work to it, other than a little wear and tear stuff.

Had brand new winter tires on it last winter, and it drove amazing in the snow.

Would definitely recommend, especially if you don't have a lot of money, and you want a nice vehicle; just make sure you keep everything serviced.

Review Date: 19th September, 2011

2005 Pontiac Wave 1.6 from North America

For an economy car, it's very good

General Comments:

31.1 mpg so far in regular driving. Not good in high winds.

Very easy to park, and entry and exit of the vehicle is great.

Good looks.

Could be quieter, but for a cheap car, I like it.

Plenty of power for a small engine, steers easily.

Overall, a good car for the price, very comfortable.

Like the hatchback for hauling stuff, really handy.

In the daytime it's hard to see the gauges, they're set in too deep.

Review Date: 8th January, 2010

2005 Pontiac Wave Hatchback 1.6L from North America

Garbage Metal (GM)

Brand new car, door locks freezes every winter.

Tires went at 40000km.

Thermostat goes at every 10000km.

Serpentine belt went at 40000km.

Hood switch went twice before 20000km.

Seat belts sticks at 10000km.

Front speakers went at 20000km.

Front brakes at 40000km.

A/C at 10000km and at 30000km.

Loud popping noise at 5000km, which still cannot be diagnosed.

Transmission sticks in 2nd gear at 5000km in the winter, still hasn't been fixed.

And many more problems.

General Comments:

This is my first GM vehicle, and NEVER again will I be buying a GM product. It is the worst vehicle I've ever owned.

GM dealerships suck also in their Customer Service. No wonder they were going out of business, they should have!

Review Date: 25th June, 2009

26th Jun 2009, 10:25

"Garbage Metal (GM) "

- One more reason why GM is now in the gutter.

3rd May 2010, 21:45

I actually have a 2005 Pontiac Wave 4 door hatchback, it is my first car, and I LOVE it. I bought it used in 2009, and all I've had to do is replace the fan for the air, and the cluster (covered by warranty). Sure every car/truck/van, has there problems. But going from a DODGE van to a little car, you're gonna notice problems. My parents have a van, and it's great. Maybe you just got a lemon car.

23rd Oct 2010, 19:54

I bought my 2005 Wave, 5-speed, with 64,000 Kilometers on it, just this past summer. I paid $3000 from a dealer... it was the price that caught my attention. Even though the interior is in mint condition and it purrs like new, I have been told to replace the timing belt when I reach around 100,000Kms. If it fairs out to be a reasonable little car, I may decide to purchase a newer one in a couple years -----> if not, then I'll go back the bigger gas guzzling vehicles. So far, I LOVE it!!. I'll keep you posted.

11th Apr 2013, 22:43

I also have the same car. I had the timing belt changed today at the insistence of my daughter who is an automotive technician. It have 109,300 klm on it. I'm glad I did, because the technician found that the part that the belt turned on was cracked. It was a bit costly, $900.00, but if it had broken, my engine would be damaged. That would be a greater expense...

11th Mar 2014, 21:36

You paid too much for a timing belt. They normally cost around $400.00 + tax to replace.

11th Mar 2014, 21:50

It is garbage metal because GM use the crappy Daewoo engine from Korea. My daughter had to scrap her 2005 Wave because the timing belt failed prematurely. The belts were replaced at 97,000 Km. (just under 60,000 miles). They only lasted another 70,000 Km (43,500 miles) before the belt failed and destroyed the engine. FYI the belt was replaced at a GM dealership. Still have the receipt.

1st Nov 2014, 11:56

Just wanted to mention that I once owned a high end VW Jetta, and the timing belt went on it before the recommended replacement; it ended up costing me $4800 Canadian. So I would have to say that bad things do happen sometimes.