2005 Pontiac Wave from North America

Lousy investment

Not a good investment car.

The timing belt broke without ANY NOTIFICATION. This has become a true NIGHTMARE. No one can fix it at a reasonable price. They are asking about $3,500 to put in an older motor.

General Comments:

Interior is quite sturdy.

Front passenger door became loose. Would stay open on its own. The support broke after 5 years of use.

Review Date: 29th December, 2013

17th Jan 2014, 13:24

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Pontiac Wave and its twin the Toyota Matrix have a timing chain? You may want to do some research on this, as the chains typically last much longer than the belts, and so maybe it's not the belt or chain that has snapped, and someone is trying to get you to buy an engine when you may not have to.

18th Jan 2014, 13:06

The Pontiac Wave is a rebadged Daewoo.

The Pontiac VIBE is a hatchback that shares the chassis, engine and transmission with the Toyota Corolla and Matrix.

The Pontiac Wave, Chevrolet Aveo and Suzuki Swift from 2004-2012 are some of the worst modern cars available.

18th Jan 2014, 14:18

The Pontiac Vibe was built off the Matrix platform. We had one in our family, and it blew the motor at 48k due to Toyota's legendary sludge problem.

11th Mar 2014, 21:31

It is a belt. My daughter's 2005 Wave timing belt came off while the vehicle was driving, and when that happens the valves and pistons smash into each other. There are 4 valves per cylinder; 2 intake and 2 exhaust. In other words the engine is toast.

You can thank the so called engineers at GM for that; if they would have used a chain instead of a belt, you would never need to replace it, probably for the life of the vehicle. Anyhow it was GM's fault for using the crappy Daewoo engine from Korea.

24th Mar 2014, 06:31

I appreciate everyone's time in adding these comments. I especially appreciate knowing that the Vibe has the Toyota engine, but the Wave does not. Never again will I buy a Pontiac actually made by Pontiac!! Not after 2 Pontiac lemons I've owned before. THANKS!!! I can't afford to purchase a mistake.

13th May 2014, 22:04

The 2005 Pontiac Wave does have a timing belt, I just replaced mine by myself, so please check it. My belt was OK, but the idler pulley was very badly damaged!

7th Oct 2014, 14:49

I think you are mistaken, the Vibe is the same as a Matrix, not the Wave. Just sayin'.

2005 Pontiac Wave GE hatchback 1.6L from North America

Excellent little car

I have a faulty check engine light that came on when the car was only about three years old, and the car was checked and and found to have nothing wrong with it. The light occasionally came on over the next couple months, and then just stayed on permanently. There never was anything wrong with the engine. Just a faulty light.

I have also found that the paint is wearing off the interior handle of the driver's door. This is only after about 5 years.

General Comments:

The car is very dependable, has power for a small car, handles well, steering is great, and the visibility is excellent out the back windshield (I have the hatchback). It's also very convenient for carting things around.

This car has received regular maintenance, following the service schedule, and beyond regular servicing, I have never had a single problem with it. I have underground heated parking, so maybe this helps with the winter as well. Every night the car is underground.

I just replaced the battery 2 months ago - the original battery was still in the car after 7 years. The CD player, automatic windows, everything still works and has never had a problem.

I know people with more expensive vehicles that have had all kinds of small things go. I have been very happy with this car. It has gone beyond my expectations.

Review Date: 7th February, 2013