1987 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Great handling, performance and reliability

Nothing; as reliable today 3 1/2 years after I bought it.

General Comments:

It took me a year to find one in excellent condition. I love driving, and this car gives the driver the opportunity to take control and have a lot of fun. The G50 transmission is much better, in comparison to the 915 on models prior to 87 (that I road tested).

Apart from changing oil, which costs around $100, I have only changed one belt, costing about $100 including labor. I use a shop with an experienced Porsche mechanic, but not the stealership. Everything else was up to date when I purchased it.

This car is so much fun to drive, and is not expensive to run as long as you keep the maintenance up.

Mine is a Carrera coupe, with sunroof. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Find a good one and buy it!

Review Date: 30th September, 2014

1987 Porsche 911 Cabriolet 3.2L from North America

Summary:

Fun, reliable and a blast to drive!

With this age of vehicle, you have to expect that there is maintenance. I just have an expectation that I refurbish some aspect every year. Last year I did the plugs and wires and distributor. This year the door and window seals. This is an extremely fun and reliable vehicle.

General Comments:

My dream car since I was a kid. I could not be happier. It's peppy and classy. I get compliments everywhere I go. Holds its value and is a classic vehicle.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2014

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe 3.2 from North America

Summary:

A true driveable classic

Replaced tie rod ends.

Hit with the infamous broken Delivar head bolt, and went full on preventative maintenance, and had the entire top end redone when the bolt was being replaced.

General Comments:

Love it. A car that really needs to be driven, and inattentiveness can result in some scary situations.

Interior was high end for its time; now it is comfortable in a Spartan way (just like it should be).

This vehicle is easily tweaked to enhance its already stellar performance.

Review Date: 18th April, 2013

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 H-6 from North America

Summary:

Hard to match these cars for sheer driving pleasure, feel, brakes and handling

Rear sway bar bushing link broke & had to be welded back on frame.

A/C condenser fan motor seized, but was an easy repair.

Otherwise, the car has been very reliable and lots of fun.

General Comments:

Purchased with 88,000kms & all documented history and service back to original bill of sale! Never winter driven, and interior & body were immaculate. New clutch was installed by dealer prior to purchase.

Lowered to euro spec ride height, the car handles beautifully and the road feel is fantastic through the standard (non powered) steering. Amazing brakes!

Stock pickup, although fine, was a little flat below 4000rpm, so I installed a Steve Wong DME chip (911 Chips) with a cat bypass & sport muffler, which brought the car alive.

It now drives so much better with much improved throttle response from 1500rpm all the way to redline. This is probably the best bang for the buck performance improvement out there for the 3.2 motor. I strongly suggest a ride in one to illustrate the difference.

The new cars are lovely, but there is something about the raw nature & feel of the earlier 911s. I personally think that the 87-89 Carreras are the best of the early breed - light & fast with improved G50 transmission, hydraulic clutch, and factory oil cooler.

There's nothing to match the whine of the air cooled 3.2 flat six at redline!

The car has been very reliable, and is not difficult to work on for all basic maintenance. I personally use Brad Penn Racing 1 20-50W oil, which has very high zinc & phosphorous levels not found in current API oils. This aids in lubrication for the valvetrain & higher spring pressures of the 2 valve motor, and aids against wear.

I previously had a 914/6 with a 2.4 S spec 911 motor, Webers, headers, quad ANSA, 911 brakes, wheels etc. and to my regret I sold it years ago.

I won't make the same mistake with this one. I love this car, and it always makes you feel like you're driving a racer.

Review Date: 7th April, 2011