1987 Porsche 911 Targa 3.2 from North America

Summary:

You can't beat the raw emotion of a 911

When I first got the car, it suffered from a spongy brake pedal. The standard fixes didn't seem to work, and the independent service place tried a bunch of (expensive) things. It ended up being a combination of the brake pedal height adjustment and rear rotors that needed replacing. The rotors seem to wear fairly fast on mine, and for some reason, the rear brakes wear out before the fronts.

The interior electrics have been a bit unreliable, with 2 power window switches and 2 seat adjustment switches breaking.

My rear anti-sway bar brackets ripped out from the body and had to be welded back in.

The fuel pump also died this year, which is a bit pricier than most.

General Comments:

With all the above, you would think I'd be ready to ditch this baby, but you'd be wrong! The engine growls like no other (my family always knows when I'm coming or going). The styling is very unique. There just isn't anything like it.

I recently considered replacing this with a new 350Z. The Z is faster, handles better and stops quicker. It just didn't have that raw emotion of driving a semi-race car. I'm enhancing my 911 instead.

One note to anyone considering a 911, don't skimp on tires. I had all season Michelin radials on the car and thought it handled pretty well. I switched over to Michelin "summer" tires, and the change was unbelievable.

As others have said, maintenance is key. Much of the car is actually pretty easy to work on yourself, in fact I ended up doing much of the brake work myself. It still costs more than most cars, but that's the price you pay for performance.

And it does perform. Below 3500 RPM, you can putt around town comfortably. Wind it up over that, jamb on the brakes and dive into a corner, and you're an instant racer! After 6 years I'm still not tired of it.

Every article says to get the most recent Porsche you can afford. Newer models will get you air conditioning that actually cools you down, ABS brakes and power steering. However, I'm not sure it will get you any more fun or reliability.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2005

25th Oct 2007, 15:45

If you reconfigure the transmission ratio you will get power thru out the power ban..Its like adding 50 horses to the car.. Much bigger difference than changing a chip... A lot of people don't know about this.. You can check it out at Deman Motor sports in Blauvelt Ny they specialize in Porsche.. great service center.

1987 Porsche 911 3.2L from North America

Summary:

This car is bullet proof

Alternator needed to be upgraded to Bosch-

General Comments:

Pleasure to drive, very reliable- Had 79 SC no comparison. G50 trans shifts like butter.

Review Date: 10th May, 2005

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe 3.2 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Fantastic car, truly magnificent driving experience

Air conditioner fan motor burnt out. Spring Plates worn. Worn Shocks.

General Comments:

Standard suspension far too soft for hard driving. Recommended mod of fitting 23 mm front and 31 mm rear torsion bars. Koni shocks and strut brace have transformed the handling. The car lacks torque below 4500 RPM, but is a nice camming motor when in the power band. The G50 gearbox is probably the best in any road going car. Very slick and very bullet proof, although a little noisy.

Review Date: 24th January, 2004

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 from North America

Summary:

Simply the best there is

Car has a lot of miles on it and burns a little oil. Never smokes or leaks, but will go through a quart every other fill up at the gas station. A little annoying, but manageable.

General Comments:

It is amazing to me that after almost 20 years these cars still look better than most 5 year old cars on the road. People that own them generally take very good care of them. The build quality is excellent as well. The DME on the 3.2 is simply un-matched for any 911 older. I read once in a buyers guide to simply buy the newest 911 you could afford. I agree completely. I have owned a 1968, 1970, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979 and now my 1987. The SC's might have a similar look, but it stops there. Everything else on the cars was improved upon. It is just amazing to drive mine and then step into a 1977 911. I still love the earlier 911's, but will not be going back. My advise to any buyers, stretch your buck and get at least an 84' or newer. If you can swing it, don't go older than a 1986 for trans upgrade reasons. I love my 87' and drive it daily which is almost not enough in my opinion. (big smile)

Review Date: 4th December, 2003

18th Mar 2005, 11:16

I have an 87 Targa with 57K...garage kept... really mint... I drive it less than 500 mile per year.

Would you sell or drive to death?

Paul.

29th Mar 2005, 13:49

I am considering buying a 1987 coupe (white) with white interior. Only 33,000 miles on it. Planning on using it as a daily driver. Extra clean from a very reliable source. Asking price is $28,000.00 and am concerned about resale value. Should I go newer with more miles or grab this gem while it's available. Any additional comments?