1987 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 3.2 flat six from North America

Summary:

I love this car

The fuel lines needed to be replaced.

The alternator needed to be replaced.

The valves needed to be adjusted.

The brake pads needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

The defining characteristic of the car is its mechanical feeling.

From the sounds, the feeling and even the smell of warm oil, you know you are in a machine.

The car never stops talking to you. You can feel the steering loading up as you go faster around corners. You can feel the brake pads pushing on the rotors.

After a long drive on a twisty road, when are stopped at a stop light, you can feel the throbbing motor behind you, begging you to flog it some more.

I researched 911s for years, buying books like "The Used 911 story" (highly recommended) and prowling websites to find out the strengths and weaknesses of each year and model. I finally settled on the Carrera 3.2, because it was old enough to be air cooled and not to have OBD II that would generate "Check Engine" error messages. However, they are new enough to have hydraulic clutches and smooth g50 transmissions. They have "Carrera" chain tensioners, so that there are no worries about failed tensioners. No problems with blown CIS air boxes either.

Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Do not buy these cars just to impress others. You have to commit -- till death do you part.

Review Date: 31st March, 2011

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 from North America

Summary:

I love my adult go-kart!

Nothing yet, I just bought the car. Only have had it for a month or so.

It's funny to me how certain parts are so outrageously expensive, while others (which would seem to be) are not.

General Comments:

I have always wanted a late 80's 911. This was THE car when I was in high school. I never thought I'd be fortunate enough to own one, but the time came and I jumped on it.; In my opinion '87 is the best aircooled year - first year of the G50 transmission, hydraulic clutch and better halogen headlights among other improvements.

It's a triple black cabriolet with the turbo body look (large tea tray fin, flared fenders and ground effects). It has also been lowered quite significantly. It's not refined, it's loud and stinks like an old German boat, but it's a blast to drive. The tires, top, all rubber and interior are brand new - the car looks nearly perfect. The previous 2 owners took excellent care of it - I have all service records since new, including all the above mentioned items.

It is nothing special below 4500 rpm, but above that, it's a screamer. The Fabspeed exhaust, cat by-pass, intake and performance chip have bumped hp to 250. This doesn't sound like much, but the light weight and torquey engine give the ride great 2nd and 3rd gear acceleration.

I could have bought a much newer one for the money, but this is one of the last handbuilt ones and the aircooled engine is easy enough for me to work on.

I hope to keep the car forever.

Review Date: 5th December, 2010

1987 Porsche 911 Targa 3.2L from North America

Summary:

Awesome daily driver

Nothing..

General Comments:

This low mileage Porsche was upgraded with new tranny gearing, which is a must because the car is too slow otherwise.. it feels like you added 50 horses..

Headlights are too dim; needed to upgrade them to euro specs H5 dual bulbs.. and had car lowered one inch with one degree forward rake.. Bilsteins all around..

If you want a nice handling daily driver this car is great.. It looks great after putting on the Mille cup wheels.

Review Date: 25th October, 2007

1987 Porsche 911 Carrera Targa 3.2L from North America

Summary:

Fun Car To Own!

Original Blaupunkt stereo stopped working in 2004.

Front windshield pits easily.

Side pockets (plastic part) cracked by the door.

General Comments:

This car is like the first pretty girl you dated in High School. The only difference is the car looks the same today as it looked 23 years ago - the girl???. - Timeless look.

Great on corners.

The high school girls still look at you when I pick up my oldest son from a high school event. Reality = they are admiring the car and or my son.

I manage around 25 MPG, as I never race around.

Review Date: 28th October, 2005