2000 Porsche Boxster S 3.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fast good looking car young at heart

Washer hose pipe came off.

General Comments:

There is not one number in the gear box that does not perform and make you just sit there and wonder will this make it around the bend. Guess what he does, I have lost this car at 100mph coming into bend approaching a tunnel in the Austrian alps. Kept my foot down in third and powered my way out. wow factor...

Review Date: 19th February, 2003

20th Feb 2003, 08:34

Been to austria and your most recent mileage is 20. hmmmm.

2000 Porsche Boxster 217 hp from North America

Summary:

Anti-locks and airbags didn't work for me. Read on about how I drove off a cliff

6/21/01

Right rear anti-lock equipped brake locked up on a braking right turn on a mountain road and almost killed me.

Car rear slid out and I went off a 50' embankment and was fortunately caught in some tall pines, where I fell to the ground upright.

No airbags deployed. The pickup truck behind me made the turn, and braked to a stop. The Porsche is in the canyon, the pickup is parked next to my crash site, what's wrong with this picture?

My $50,000 Porsche is sitting is a wreckers yard in NC. waiting for the adjuster. I'm real curious about the rear wheel lock and no bags.

I'm going to do 6 weeks off work for this broken rib. I'm not a happy camper.

Review Date: 30th June, 2001

5th Aug 2001, 17:30

Slamming on the brakes in a turn is inadvisable in any car.

6th Aug 2001, 07:57

I find it highly unlikely that the events described can be attributed to a faulty ABS system. In the first place, the Boxster ABS works on wheel pairs (it is incapable of braking the wheels individually). Porsche does have a system called Porsche Stability Management (PSM) that can modulate brakes on individual wheels. This system is available on later (2001 on) Boxsters as an option. PSM generally activates when it detects a situation where incipient loss of control exists - the beginnings of a skid, for example, and it acts to counteract the problem by individually braking the appropriate wheel (s) and by momentarily reducing engine power (irrespective of throttle position). I've driven PSM equipped cars on the track at high speeds, and generally never noticed it. It only activates if the driver does something WRONG (like trying to take a corner at a speed higher than the frictional forces at the tires can accommodate). When it does activate, you can detect it by the momentary power loss and the fact that your car stayed on the road instead of sliding off the track. As good as it is, PSM cannot overcome the basic laws of physics - someone who is going much faster than they should be in a curve can still slide off the road - it is just more difficult. Having owned and driven a Boxster for the past 3 years and 40,000 miles, and having driven the new Porsche models on the track, I find it much more likely that this gentleman was driving faster than his skills would allow, and the car slid off the road.

2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The best sports car for everyday use ever

Plastic clip holding leather inserts on the seat backs broke.

General Comments:

A superb, comfortable sports car. Not brave enough to explore the full handling limits. It is superb.

The engine note above 5000 revs is better than Clapton at his best.

Lots of luggage space and headroom for 6ft plus drivers.

Review Date: 17th March, 2001

2000 Porsche Boxster 2.7 liter from North America

Summary:

Porsche - worth every penny!!!

The only thing that has gone wrong with the car is that the cooling system had an air pocket in it which escaped dropping the coolant level. It was taken care of and the car runs better than ever!

General Comments:

The car is expensive but worth every cent. It corners like a dream and doesn't even shake even the slightest bit at 105mph. I just love beating cars that think they are fast off of the line and just outrunning them. The sound that the engine makes is stellar. The sound is like no other. The power that the car has is unbelievable.

Review Date: 5th December, 2000

30th Jan 2001, 12:08

My next car will be a Porsche Boxster because you have convinced me. I have nothing bad to say about this review except that you might have been a little more truthful. We as consumers all know that a car is a dream until something bad happens or the longer you've had the car. Then you can come to me in 3 years after you've had it that long and then read your review and tell me that all you have said is still so.

But all in all it was pretty good. Lots of praise and that's what I like to hear as long as it's the truth. But I trust you.

Tara

Owner of a 2000 Ferrari

15th Apr 2001, 07:57

Got rid of mine, kids... Service was terrible, minor things went wrong, maintenance was definitely not DIY friendly. In an age where other manufacturers try to emphasize reliability, this is one vehicle that goes in the other direction. Subscribe to "Excellence" mag or "Panorama" and read the trials and tribulations of owning a Porsche... any Porsche. They are great when they are running, which is only a small part of the time.

22nd Apr 2001, 17:29

I have owned many vehicles from all different makers and my new Porsche Boxster is the true essence of driving. This car is fast, fun and beautiful.

24th Aug 2005, 12:12

Porsche Boxster S. Pulls well, looks good, very nice to drive, but at 6600 miles one should not expect serious noises from behind your seat. '16 hours to take engine out and check sir' says the service manager, 'just sign here to authorise and we will see if it is covered by the warranty'.

I have never had this with any other make of car, let alone being told it will be 3 weeks before the work can be done. Not impressive of you Porsche.

Just a warning if you are thinking of buying one second hand, its very expensive to work on and the hourly rate is up in the clouds, unless of course you are a banker with big annual bonuses. Charles.

25th Aug 2005, 14:47

I have the same problem with mine.