1998 Renault Megane RN 1.6 16v from Norway

Summary:

Cheap and reliable

Had to change a wheel bearing at 140.000km.

Otherwise there is nothing.

General Comments:

The interior could be more practical, like having better places to put items.

The gear shift is really good.

It has a low fuel consumption, I use around 6l /100km, but on Norwegian roads its max is 110kmt.

The engine performance is pretty good, for a 1.6L engine with 90 bhp.

The brakes are very good.

If you haven't loaded your car with heavy luggage, it sticks pretty good to the road. If it has a little heavy luggage, you will feel the suspension is too soft.

Overall: a reliable car with low fuel consumption, and good enough performance.

Review Date: 9th July, 2010

1998 Renault Megane Coupe Sport II 1.6e from UK and Ireland

Summary:

A beautiful coupe, but it's bullied me!

Leaky sunroof drains (and wet footwells)

Leaking sills.

Engine coils.

Leaking Wiper washer tank.

Low slung exhaust gets continually damaged.

Erratic window wipers.

Radio falls out of housing when driving.

No rear washer.

No front washer (both started working again)

No hot air from fans and other times no cool air from fans.

Leaky aerial which damaged immobiliser.

Hit and miss sidelights which required rewiring.

Latest (this month)...

Ariel leaking again.

Sheared shock absorber.

Problems with cooling, oil and water levels and temperature, and blue smoke.

Misfiring and grinding noises.

(Very difficult to keep clean!!)

General Comments:

I upgraded my Clio last year to my Megane, and although it was high mileage and quite aged, I was impressed at its comfort, spec, good fuel economy and smooth and sporty ride.

I enjoyed 3 months worry free motoring, and enjoyed warm weather with the sunroof back and my favourite music playing.

Unfortunately, it cannot be ignored, that it has dragged me over the coals many times, and I have put much time and effort (and money) into this car.

I love driving my Megane coupe and love its shape. The insurance I found to be good for a coupe, and the fuel consumption was also good. Many reviews claim the car is small inside, but I found there was always room for me and 3 of my friends and luggage in the boot... maybe we are just small.

However after being involved in an accident last year, much of its body work was damaged and many parts got broken.

Parts were expensive, and I found them difficult to source because it was the coupe version of the Megane, and also because of its yea,r as there are slight but important differences between the models.

Also living in Northern Ireland made it difficult to source parts cheaply, as shipping or postage made many things I needed expensive.

As you can see from the list of problems I have had, I have managed to pull the short straw this time! But to be fair, the work was mainly done between myself and my cousin, a rally car fan, and wasn't really too difficult.

But when people ask, 'after all that effort you put into your car would you buy another one' I reply, 'tomorrow'

My advice?

Buy a coupe! But try a low mileage one and try to get one with a service history, and which hasn't previously been owned by a racer or any one too clueless to look after the oil and water levels!

Review Date: 20th July, 2008

1998 Renault Megane RN 1.9 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Cheap to run

Jumps out of 5th gear when the engine is warm and accelerating.

Front brake discs replaced.

Front foot wells full of water; discovered that the sunroof drainage pipes behind front wheels were blocked and causing water to enter the cabin. Unblocked the pipes and car is currently drying out.

General Comments:

Comfy ride, good handling, very economical (50 mpg).

Slow acceleration, engine noisy, noisy inside.

Has been reliable other than the annoying 5th gear problem.

Review Date: 11th March, 2008