1999 Renault Megane Reviews - Page 6 of 6

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.6 8V Manual
Previous carRenault Megane 1.6 RT

Summary:

Still a good car - 8V engine definitely NO GO!!!

I liked my previous Megane so much (even though it had a major engine fault - please read previous posting) I got this one. "I'll never have a problem like that again", I thought -- WRONG!!!!! There is a known fault with the Renault Megane's fitted with the 1.6 8V engine - it could be the same with the 1.4. Big-end bearings fail on these cars and if noisy need to be replaced at the dealer's cost - not yours (£2000!). This fault occured when the car had only covered 4000 miles!! HAVING HAD 2 WITH THE SAME FAULT I'M TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE!

General Comments:

Top marks to my Renault dealer whom sorted the problem out ASAP at their cost, supplied me with a courtesy car etc. while the car was being sorted (5 days!)

This fault is known by Renault, so much so that there is a "kit" supplied by Renault for dealers to sort this problem out. Take a tip from me - buy a 16 Valve Megane - I got one (my 3rd Megane, I must be a glutton for punishment!), they are a brilliant car - well made, quick, and do not need a major engine overhaul every 4000 miles!!!!!!

Review Date: 24th July, 2000

1st Oct 2002, 11:38

I have a Megane 1.6 RT sport which I imported in Nov 98. From day one the engine rattled, Renault UK stated in writing that they are aware the 8v K series engine rattles. They also stated that it has no detrimental effect on the car, which is a joke. It is now up to 20k and rattles very loudly, I have just spoken to my local dealer again, and they are not aware of any modification. Does anyone else have a similar fault.

1999 Renault Megane Coupe 1.6 16v from Greece