1999 Renault Megane RT 1.6 8V from UK and Ireland

Still a good car - 8V engine definitely NO GO!!!

I liked my previous Megane so much (even though it had a major engine fault - please read previous posting) I got this one. "I'll never have a problem like that again", I thought -- WRONG!!!!! There is a known fault with the Renault Megane's fitted with the 1.6 8V engine - it could be the same with the 1.4. Big-end bearings fail on these cars and if noisy need to be replaced at the dealer's cost - not yours (£2000!). This fault occured when the car had only covered 4000 miles!! HAVING HAD 2 WITH THE SAME FAULT I'M TALKING FROM EXPERIENCE!

General Comments:

Top marks to my Renault dealer whom sorted the problem out ASAP at their cost, supplied me with a courtesy car etc. while the car was being sorted (5 days!)

This fault is known by Renault, so much so that there is a "kit" supplied by Renault for dealers to sort this problem out. Take a tip from me - buy a 16 Valve Megane - I got one (my 3rd Megane, I must be a glutton for punishment!), they are a brilliant car - well made, quick, and do not need a major engine overhaul every 4000 miles!!!!!!

Review Date: 24th July, 2000

1st Oct 2002, 11:38

I have a Megane 1.6 RT sport which I imported in Nov 98. From day one the engine rattled, Renault UK stated in writing that they are aware the 8v K series engine rattles. They also stated that it has no detrimental effect on the car, which is a joke. It is now up to 20k and rattles very loudly, I have just spoken to my local dealer again, and they are not aware of any modification. Does anyone else have a similar fault.

1999 Renault Megane Coupe 1.6 16v from Greece

Until now, nothing.

General Comments:

A very nice and fun car to drive. Powerful yet friendly and secure.

Review Date: 12th July, 2000

1999 Renault Megane RT 1.4 16V from Greece

Oil leaks from camshaft case, easy to crack alloy wheels, rattles from the interior, faulty steering column, faulty generator belt bearings. Noisy shock absorbers. Counter: 15000km.

General Comments:

Nice ride, best engine in its class, many disturbing faults. Quality wasn't Renault's major concern.

Review Date: 16th January, 2000