1999 Renault Megane Coupe Sport Alize 1.6 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fun and nimble car with entertaining performance

Misfire caused by faulty injectors at 2000 miles and again at 6000 miles, but fixed quickly under warranty and has been fine since. Dealer very helpful and arranged for a loan car without notice.

Alarm going off without cause at 12000 miles, caused by a faulty supply lead, fixed by the dealer for free.

General Comments:

An excellent car that can be forgiven the initial problems. Brilliant!!

I would recommend this car to anybody looking for a fun affordable coupe with excellent handling and performance without the high running costs.

It is a little small in the back, so if space is important then buy the 5-door.

Even more of bargain now that the UK prices have been dropped by approximately £2000.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2001

1999 Renault Megane RXE Break 1.4 16v 70kw from Czech Republic

Summary:

Big family car with a lot of fun for good price, and with low running costs

I have this car nearly for one year, guarantee has expired before 3 months - I have two small problems in last year:

Oil was disappearing out of the oil van - only a little bit.

Some noise coming from the rear left window - problem with a rubber part.

In Renault service they repaired these two problems very quickly in guarantee - so no problem, they have also replaced the battery - they told me it was from some bad series or something.

General Comments:

I like this car - it is only a 1.4 liter engine, but with nearly 100 HP it is doing with such a big car amazing things. My personal record is 220 km/h. So you can drive very fast if you want or need, but on other side, running costs are very low.

In the city (Prague) it consumes about 7.5-8.5 l/100km, on the motorway if you are going about 150km/h about 7l, and on roads outside the city about 5.5-6.5 l/100km.

This estate has useful volume of 1.6m3 - the largest in the segment.

This car is really comfortable and brings lot of features as standard in this class - for example 4 airbags, ABS, full electric windows, locks, mirrors... for very good price.

Review Date: 4th February, 2001

1999 Renault Megane RXE 1.6 16v from Venezuela

Summary:

A great 4 door cruiser

Absolutely nothing.

I put a 7 in dealer service because they keep the car one whole day and sometimes two days to do an oil change and brake inspection.

Oil changes every 5000 kms in the dealer to keep the warranty.

General Comments:

The car is perfect, everything is like new, I was afraid of buying a Renault but now I can see that they have worked hard on reliability items.

The engine is great, uses no oil, fuel consumption according to the dash screen is 9.4 lts/100 kms.

The A/C and heating works well even on really sunny days.

I've got the top of the line (RXE) with all electrics and I put a sunroof and a spoiler, it looks great.

The trunk is big, even bigger than my last Cavalier (which was a piece of crap).

The sound system is average.

It's the most silent car I've ever had.

Review Date: 25th January, 2001

1999 Renault Megane RTE 1.6e from Turkey

Summary:

Nice car, but won't buy twice from Renault

The interior air circulation motor broke down after 1.5 years although not used much. The standard rigging of the car has been changed by the manufacturer.

General Comments:

Could be best in its class if the quality was OK. But still has the best performance and comfort in its class.

Review Date: 14th September, 2000

24th Jun 2001, 12:16

I have the same problem with my Renault Megane Classic RTE (Bought in Morocco in July 1999).

This car was imported from Turkey.

The guarantee period has expired 1 year ago.

What should I do?

1999 Renault Megane Coupe Sport 1.6 16v petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Yellow is the colour for a coupe!!

The electrics have given us problems.

General Comments:

Nice car to drive, Renault is a much improved marque then it used to be. Most importantly our one's yellow and it looks gorgeous!!

Review Date: 27th July, 2000

17th Jan 2001, 09:17

I've got a Megane and I think it's the best car I have ever owned!!

The colour is yellow and it's a W reg.

The handling is the best and ten out of ten for the looks!

I own 2 Ford Escorts and a Porsche 944, and they are not a mark on the Megane!

3rd Jan 2007, 02:17

Just bought one, all I can say is WOW.