1999 SAAB 9-3 Reviews - Page 4 of 13

1999 SAAB 9-3 SE 2.0 Injection from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0 Injection Manual

Summary:

Unique, quirky, but own one, and you will fall in love

Engine seized not long after purchased. This was because previous owner never serviced the car.

Right head lamp washer not working.

Radio mast not working

SID lines fading.

Headlamps work, but SID tells me Headlamp failure

Airbag light came one. Bottle under the passenger Seat damaged the sensor in the seat belt clasp. Wires soldered together, all fine.

General Comments:

Bought the car second hand, and did not check the service history. Caveat emptor I suppose. The oil filter on these things are really fine, and the car can suffer from "black death".

However, my mechanic (non Saab dealer, but total Saab fan) sourced a replacement engine for me in the UK. It took him a long time though. Since then, I have put just over 4000 miles on the clock everyone of them has been a total joy so far. I have been on all sorts of roads, and the car is comfy and fast. I never go above 3,500 RPM because I never have to. The acceleration in in top from anything above 90Kph is great. Just press the loud pedal, and the horizon comes in the windscreen at you.

I have driven 6 hour journeys and the seats are completely comfortable.

Father has a 2001 Passat, and he has had more problems with that than I have had with this.

Review Date: 24th September, 2007

1999 SAAB 9-3 S 2.0T from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0T Manual
Previous carSAAB 900

Summary:

Fast, fun, unique and sturdy... what more could you want?

Water pump failed at 90K, I replaced it for $130.

Rear shocks were leaking, all shocks and struts replaced w adjustable Koni dampers and lowering springs. I did this myself for a cost of ~$800.

Rear muffler rusted through at 90K. Replaced with stainless steel factory sport exhaust.

Fan speed knob broke off...$10 part to fix.

General Comments:

I wish my 9-5 Aero was as reliable and tough as this old girl.

The Aero is faster and handles well, but the 9-3 with the upgraded suspension is a hoot and scoots along pretty quickly!

These cars have lots of performance potential and require a strict maintenance regimen (full synthetic oil and good filters every 4K or so). But they are long lived and pretty tough.

Interior quality leaves plenty to be desired, but the seats are comfortable and leather.

Review Date: 6th September, 2007

1999 SAAB 9-3 SE 2.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0L Automatic

Summary:

It's gone..

I totaled the car after owning it for only 2 weeks.

The driver window was hard to use and would repeatedly fall into the door cavity.

Nothing else.

General Comments:

Great acceleration and handling.

In general FWD cars are not good for racing and stuff like that if you don't know how to control them. I myself do not know how to control it...

Really fun to drive.

Safest car I could have been in when I was showing off (slid on gravel and flipped the car over into a ditch - my fault completely)

Review Date: 26th August, 2007

1999 SAAB 9-3 SE turbo from North America

First year of ownership1999
Engine and transmission turbo Manual

Summary:

Stay away from Saab

Our Saab just suffered catastrophic engine failure while on a trip. The first thing I checked when we pulled off the road was the oil, which showed full on the dip stick and appeared to be normal - not too dirty.

After having the car towed in to a Saab repair place, I was informed that the engine needed to be replaced because of an oil issue. After checking on line I was shocked and dismayed to find that these Saab's have a known oil pump design flaw and are prone to engine failure.

The car has around 70,000 miles, we are the original owners and have maintained the car since day one.

We have added our name to the class action suit listed in this forum.

This is our second Saab and will be our last.

Review Date: 23rd August, 2007

1999 SAAB 9-3 S from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carMazda MX6

Summary:

Top ten list for worst cars ever

General Comments:

Working valet, I always wondered why there were so few Saab's being driven.

That was until of course I owned one.

The car is, at best, pathetic.

The seats are uncomfortable for both long and short trips.

The steering wheel is equipped not with tilt steering, but instead with some different B.S. option that allows you the ability to pull the wheel forward, or if you like, push it back. (one of the dumbest installments I've ever seen)

The process of just getting the key out of the ignition is a chore in itself with a Saab. For the manual trans you need to place the car in reverse every time you want to park the car and get out.

I've never been one to care about daytime running lights. But this car is installed with both front and rear. So no matter what time of day it is, or were you have the lights positioned at. You have both the front and rear on.

Also, the dash is always illuminated day and night.

The handling is terrible; an idea of how a Saab handles would be similar to a cross country skier on a lake of ice.

It basically floats and goes where it wants to, not where you want.

If you hit a bump, there are three options the car will give you.

1.) (In a manual) The gear will decide to pop out of place.

2.) The car will start to lose traction, begin spinning the tires and end up burning the only thing good on the car (the tires).

3.) The car will lose control, taking you wherever it feels.

The suspension is bad.

The radio is bad. With even worse speakers.

I blew the speakers in the hopes of listening to music on the highway with the windows up... BAD IDEA. I guess Saab had no idea that cardboard isn't the best technology for speakers.

Through all these faults on this car, they still managed to put a sticker price of $27,000 when new.

Saab, you are a terrible car company, and you make terrible cars.

For anyone reading this, do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY A SAAB!!!

Review Date: 14th June, 2007

15th Jun 2007, 20:56

Regarding "Top ten Worst cars...

Well I'm wondering whether you noticed any of this on the test drive?I have a 99 9-3 SE and LOVE it! The daytime running light feature can be turned off by pulling the fuse, as stated in your manual, if you don't want the daytime running feature. The stereo in my car is great, but yes the speakers are just okay. My car has been driven by me like a race car, and I have put 120,000 miles on it with no serious issues aside from regular maintenance. Its Fantastic and everyone comments that it has really comfortable seats. The suspension on mine is all original and nice and tight, handles great especially at speeds over 70mph.I don't know, but maybe youre just not a Saab person, theyre very quirky cars, but fantastic. By the way, I see Saabs all over just as much as Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Volvos. Maybe they aren't as popular in your region for a specific reason.