2006 SAAB 9-3 ARC 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Enjoyable car to drive

Rear suspension clunk - to be fixed.

Low beam headlights dim - cleaned - better.

Fuel indicator non-functioning - sender replaced.

General Comments:

Quick car for a 2.0.

Handles nicely. Makes me think about getting rid of my 9000 Aero.

Seats seem like they would be uncomfortable, but have taken several long trips without incident.

Great highway car.

My wife drove all winter and had no problems with snow / ice with snows on the front.

Review Date: 5th April, 2013

2006 SAAB 9-3 Linear 1.9 TiD turbo diesel from Belgium

Summary:

The wisest choice of all second-hand saloon cars

EGR valve (fortunately replaced under warranty).

Weird steering (unknown cause).

Random jerking while accelerating/decelerating (unknown cause).

Difficulties to change gears.

General Comments:

I'm amazed by: the low consumption, the excellent comfort of its seat, the handling, the performances, the cargo, the superb design of the car.

I didn't like: the clutch/gearbox set, the aerodynamic sounds, the very bad handling when on windy/bad roads, some weird reactions from the steering wheel (hard/smooth), noises coming from the dashboard.

OK, it might be not as reliable as a BMW/Audi/Merc, but it's far better looking, and you have the feeling of driving something more rare and exclusive.

My previous car was a Saab, my current car is a Saab, my next car will be a Saab.

Review Date: 30th May, 2011

2006 SAAB 9-3 SS Aero Combi 2.8 from North America

Summary:

Decent car so far, and it's sure fun to drive

Wipers have stopped functioning properly.

Wiper washers have malfunctioned.

Driver's seat is showing signs of wear on the bolster.

Sometimes the key does not want to leave the ignition, and you have to re-start the car and shut it off, to get it to turn to the off position.

General Comments:

The car is a very nice car, although I have not had it long - it is a pleasure to drive. Plenty of power and pick up when needed.

The dash is overly complicated, but looks cool. I cannot upgrade to an aftermarket GPS-navigational system, which I would like to do these systems, I have been told, will not fit. A lot of the 'info' information is just 'stuff', and a bit too gimmicky. The big screen, which could hold a GPS, is basically a big screen, to ask me which music source I want to switch to.

It has plenty of room for mine or the kid's sports equipment, and it is not at all boring to drive.

Fuel economy is okay - but you really see the gauge move if you push too long. I think my 325ic was better on gas.

Review Date: 13th January, 2011

2006 SAAB 9-3 2.0 turbo from North America

Summary:

Disappointed in reliability and service

When the car hit 80,000 miles, problems started to pop up.

The entire AC unit had to be replaced, the windshield wiper rack had to be replaced, the CD player no longer works properly, the car bangs into gear when backing up and going into drive, it bangs or hesitates occasionally when shifting from second into third gear, and when shifting from third into fourth gear.

I have had it to two Cadillac/Saab dealers for repair, and neither has fixed the problem.

General Comments:

I am a Saab fanatic and love my car. The 2006 9-3 is my third Saab, and I love driving the car. The handling is excellent and it's a fun car to drive. Up to now it has been very reliable. I take excellent care of my Saab's and make sure that it is serviced at the required intervals. However I am finding it difficult to get good servicing when something goes wrong with the car.

Review Date: 23rd November, 2010

2006 SAAB 9-3 Vector 1.9 diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Most unreliable car I have ever owned

In-Warranty: front doors rattled.

In-Warranty handbrake failed - charged for re-adjustment, told it was not part of the warranty.

July 2009 (1 month out of warranty) - handbrake failed, linkage replaced, cost £282.89. Mileage 42,439.

December 2009 - gear shift mechanism seized. New mechanism fitted, cost £363.40. Mileage 47,478.

February 2010 - Fly wheel broke, damaging clutch slave cylinder. Being repaired as I write. Estimate cost of repair £1200.

General Comments:

Very unreliable mechanics.

Appears to be designed to fail after the warranty period.

Review Date: 19th February, 2010

28th Mar 2012, 14:36

Too many Vauxhall / GM parts.