1999 SAAB 9-5 Reviews

1999 SAAB 9-5 SE 3.0 V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Automatic

Summary:

It has been nice, but testy and expensive

I have to replace many valves, hoses, and belts. I also had to replace the fuel pump. It's awesome when it is drive able, but it keeps breaking on me, and each repair is at the least 300 dollars. I put 1500 dollars into this thing already.

Tonight I was driving home and another hose exploded... I thought my car was going to blow up; smoke everywhere. The coolant hose popped and now I may have to get a new engine, radiator, head gasket, or for sure hoses.

General Comments:

Saabs are sweet, I have 3 and some are perfect, but all are testy at times. They start bad in high heat like 90 degrees. ALL have electronic issues. However, when they are running nice, they are amazing.

Review Date: 2nd June, 2012

2nd Jun 2012, 11:24

Why would you put yourself through this?

Is it really worth it to drive a car, not knowing what, when or where the next breakdown will occur?

I owned a Saab 9-3 Convertible for 5 years, and thankfully it was pretty reliable during that time period (just a few minor issues), however as soon as my extended warranty ran out, I sold it.

It seems that as they age, reliability goes out the window, and all kinds of issues take over.

Believe me, I know how nice a Saab can be (the seats are great), however there are plenty of cars out there that will do what a Saab does, and do it more reliably.

In the 5 years that I owned mine, I really grew tired of the lack of structural rigidity (the steering wheel felt like it had a rubber column as it bounced in my hands even on fairly smooth roads), and was also tired of the CD skipping on less than glass smooth surfaces. To me, these were unacceptable on a $43,000 vehicle. Saab wheels are notorious for going out of round - so avoid potholes! And then there are the disappearing pixels in the info display to look forward to as they age. Anyway, I got rid of mine before that happened, and before any serious problems arose (sold it at 36,000 miles).

I now enjoy a convertible with neither of these issues, and it's also much less expensive to service & maintain. My convertible's structure is solid and tight with no cowl shake or body flex at 97,000 miles. Much more solid than my Saab with 36,000 miles.

Also, in my opinion, Saab parts & labor prices are ridiculously high.

Do yourself a favor before your Saabs break you; buy at least one reliable car that you can depend on.

1999 SAAB 9-5 turbo from North America

Model year1999
Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission turbo Automatic
Previous carVolvo 122

When I bought my Saab 1999 9/5 wagon, I really loved it.

But soon, I had to fix the brakes and rotors.

Then I had to fix the motor on the front windows.

Then the power steering rack cost me ($800.00).

After that, the radiator went bad, and I had to replace it.

And finally the engine ceased, and will cost ($2,900.00) to replace it.

My Saab is parked at home now.

General Comments:

The car was running very good, and I loved it.

However the engine ceased and needs to be replaced.

The car was great.

Review Date: 16th December, 2011

15th Feb 2012, 23:51

My 1999 95 SE wagon has 130km with full Saab history.

I have had 5 Lexus's, and thought cars just worked and are nowadays reliable! Although I was wrong, driving cars like Lexus gives you a false sense of reliability. None of my cars ever had a problem even after 400,000km. Obviously I had to spend money on maintenance, in fact a lot of money on maintenance including a recent service of $3500. However, it never broke down.

I have had my Saab for 1 day, and it has broken down 3 times, and the water pump broke along with the air-con compressor, and as a result overheated. There is also a problem with a sensor now. This all happened within 24 hours of owning it, and it was serviced before I purchased.

Why I ever strayed from Lexus is beyond me. The only thing I can say about a Lexus is it is totally boring, maybe because it always goes and never stops!! The Lexus's I had were GS300, LX470, 2 LS400's and a LS430.