2002 Saturn L300 3.0L V6 from North America

Summary:

This car is a dream!

The oil cooler cover developed an oil leak (repaired under warranty).

The catalytic converter plugged (again repaired under warranty).

General Comments:

This car has the Sport package and what a difference this makes. The sport-tuned suspension provides very tight cornering and minimal body roll.

The V6 and 4 speed automatic transmission work great together.

The interior is VERY well laid out and comfortable. Long trips are effortless.

The polymer body panels are extremely resilient and have saved several trips to the body shop because they flexed instead of denting when hit in parking lots (cars and shopping carts).

Review Date: 11th October, 2005

2002 Saturn L300 from North America

Summary:

I would buy another one

Small coolant leak at the oil cooler.

Fixed at the dealer no charge

General Comments:

This is the second Saturn that I have owned. this one replaces a 99' SC2. I was impressed that for just a couple of thousand more than the SC2 was new I got anti-lock brakes, traction control, heated seats the v6 motor and not to mention the utility of a 4 door sedan.

I am wowed by the terrifying acceleration that I am getting out of this car. It is supposed to be rated at 176 hp, but I can humiliate my friend in his 250 hp '04 Accord. The front end does get a little twitchy at hard acceleration, but is not a problem.

The plastic panels are a real godsend. I witnessed somebody back into my passenger door with their pickup. There wasn't even a scratch let alone a dent. I was also rear-ended at a stop light. The impact bent the mini van's front bumper, but once again did not leave a scratch on mine. If you want to drive something other than the "me too" Camry or Accord, this may be a good option.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2004

16th Oct 2008, 22:04

I have owned a 2002 L300 since it was brand new; we have taken the vehicle to the Saturn Dealerships here in Houston for oil changes and for extensive maintenance. I have spent nearly $7,000 in repairs alone to keep this car running decently, and yet the oil leaks and the alignment problems continue.

I am very disappointed at myself for not buying a car made in Japan such as Toyota or Honda. I still have my Saturn parked in the Garage as I am embarrassed to sell it to anyone. We have had several major repairs on this vehicle, and it hasn't even reached the 80k miles & the warranty has expired already.

The problems started nearly since we brought the car home from the dealership. We have had multiple issues with the lights, the A/C; the motor and the doors; it's all plastic; it rattles here there and everywhere. We have had sensors go bad; the pulley on the tensioner went out at 65,000 miles; we have had thermostat problems; it eat tires so fast that we have to buy them with additional warranties to make sure that we have some extra coverage. We found out the car is not GM but a refurbished OPEL, & the body is that of a SAAB.. I would not buy another Saturn or GM product as long as I live.

I have the records and the paperwork to prove that what I am saying is the truth. EGR valve replaced; Computer Module replaced... timing belt and water pump and all the major undertaking of the side of the engine had to be totally re-done as a result of a pulley that went out causing major havoc; overheating the engine and so forth... very costly.

9th Jan 2013, 17:08

This vehicle does not have a timing belt. I think your repair facility has been hosing you?

2002 Saturn L300 from North America

I have experienced no mechanical problems.

General Comments:

The sports suspension and 50 series tires makes the L300 stand out from the less expensive L200. Well worth it for the improvement in looks. Great acceleration and handling for a mid-size car. My car is loaded with every option available except the sunroof. (The DVD player deleted the sunroof) Plenty of leg room for adults in the rear. The leather front seats could have had a tad more cushion. The seat warmers are great and I will have them on all cars in the future. Knowing that I have side air curtains makes me feel secure. By buying a previously owned vehicle (ex-lease car) from the Saturn dealer I saved half of the sticker price for a new model and I got all the red carpet treatment and party-like showroom sendoff. Hurrah Saturn!

Review Date: 22nd May, 2004

1st Feb 2007, 11:52

How many miles do you have on your vehicle?

I have followed regular maintenance on my vehicle and have had more problems than I ever had with my SL2. (I finally gave the SL2 away to a friend after 9 years and over 200,000 miles on it.) Problems with the L300 include:

Oil cooler leaking anti-freeze within first 3 yrs, but passed warranty,

Timing belt breaking - supposedly good for 100,000 miles, had been replaced according to maintenance guidelines and should have been good for 40,000 more miles when it broke. There is no clearance on these engines which means if it breaks when you are moving your engine is toast. Replaced engine with a used one.

Thermostat going now

Short in Lights switch on the column causing high-beams to come on by themselves even when the car is off.

SL2 was much more reliable. I am trying to keep the L300 running until I can purchase a new car in the fall. After 14 yrs, it won't be a Saturn and it probably won't be an American manufacturer.