1997 Saturn SW from North America

Summary:

Great beginner car

The exterior of the car is poorly made with cheap plastic. A shopping cart bump chipped much of the rear bumper paint off.

Like many of the cheaper cars built in this era, the hubcaps are very much an eyesore. They too also chip easily.

The speakers are very poor quality. I would appreciate more than 4 speakers, 2 of which are on the rear door, which doesn't make too much sense, unless you have it open when you are camping for that reason. A pair of tweeters would be nice.

The frame of the car is very loose. I am not pushing the car to see its performance, but I can feel the windows vibrate and the doors shake. This comes with age of the vehicle at some point, earlier for the more affordable cars.

The engine cannot handle a car full of average sized people. It feels like there is no power. You must hit the higher RPM's, especially when getting onto the highway. Very hazardous.

General Comments:

Never had a problem with heater or the A/C like I did in my previous car, a '94 Chevy Cavalier. Very lightweight, considering the model.

Great gas mileage, even though it has a smaller than average gas tank, about 12 gallons.

I have taken minimal maintenance on this car. I have done the essentials, like change the oil.

Never broken down on me. I have had the original fan belt on it and I will most likely change it at 100,000 miles.

Very practical car. Great for the purpose intended, transportation. I am a little upset that there are only 4 seats, but the cargo room makes up for that.

Rear windshield wiper is always great to have.

Review Date: 6th February, 2010

1997 Saturn SW SW2 Twin Cam 16v from North America

Summary:

Cheap sport hauler wagon

The plastic will shatter in an accident, which doesn't protect the main frame from low speed crashes.

Headliner falls down and and tears with ease, so you get orange foam from the ceiling in your hair.

The right rear window is off its track.

The original speakers crackle and are poor quality.

You can't advertise your business with magnetic door signs cause the doors are plastic.

Windshield wiper hits the antenna if you lift it up to repair or clean your window.

Door locks are broken on both front doors, so you have to manually lock every door.

The rear strut towers cut out a lot of cargo room.

One of the pulleys (not sure which one) has bad bearings, so it is really annoying.

Every seat is uncomfortable.

General Comments:

It's quite lightweight considering it's a station wagon.

It has a surprisingly tuned like suspension that is stiff, but doesn't hit too hard on the bumps.

The transmission shifts hard and beast like.

It's an automatic, and with the pedal floored it hits around 7,000 rpm, but the redzone is at 6,500.

Despite the annoying worn bearings in one of the pulleys, the exhaust has a nice sound and doesn't have any holes.

Decent amount of cargo room.

Has a roof rack that I like because I'm adventurous and like things like biking and kayaking.

I thinks it's an okay car, but I wouldn't buy one unless it's really cheap with a lot of parts intact.

Gets good gas mileage, but I'm not sure if it pays off for everything going wrong with it.

Got mine for free from my grandma, so that's a major plus.

Review Date: 13th August, 2009

1997 Saturn SW ST Wagon 1.9 from North America

Summary:

Not a race car, but dependable and cheap to drive

Nothing, just regular maintenance.

General Comments:

Well I got this car with 123000 miles and I was worried about the car.

But the car proved it's great; I just change the battery, spark plugs, wires, and oil belts.

Regular maintenance, I drive this car every day and I got like 33 to 34 mpg on the highway. I go to Mass from CT every time, it's like 154 miles one way, and it's never let me down.

I love this car on the snow just with regular tires.

I think I am lucky.