1997 Saturn SW SW1 1.9 from North America

Summary:

Very good car for the money

Brake rotors warp every few years, but other than that, I've only had one major repair, which was to replace the fuel pump a few weeks ago.

There was a cold weather starting problem when I fixed the car, so I took it to the local Saturn dealer who told me it was a known problem, and there was a free repair for it. They fixed it, and I've had no problems since.

In the last year or so, it's taken a little extra effort to get it into third gear, but shifting at slightly higher revs than I used to (3000 instead of 2500) has cured that problem.

It has also started burning a little bit of oil, about 1L (1 quart) between oil changes.

General Comments:

Considering how old it is, how long I've owned it, and the mileage I've put on the car, I can't complain. It's only let me down once, and that was the above mentioned fuel pump problem (which my mechanic discovered was the result of sludge build-up in the bottom of the tank).

It's not a sports car, but I didn't expect it to be when I bought it. It's very fuel efficient, burning about 6.3L/100km (about 37mpg US, 45mpg UK). It handles great in the winter (especially with snow tires), getting through stuff my Camaro would never get through.

Review Date: 7th February, 2008

1997 Saturn SW from North America

Summary:

Don't buy a Saturn

THat that have gone wrong: Alternator, water pump all the sensors, the brake the brake lights, engine, the door locks.

General Comments:

Buy a Toyota or Honda I just did.

Review Date: 3rd November, 2005

2nd Dec 2005, 23:02

I wish I would have seen this comment before. I would have taken the advice. I did buy a 2002 Saturn S-series. My car is now in the dealership since February 2005 with a hole in the engine. Two weeks before I had taken the car into the dealership because my oil light was coming on. They adjusted the light because they said it was too sensitive and nothing wrong with the oil. Now I am going through months of letter writing with multiple individuals who are basically saying well so sorry, but we cannot help you unless you are willing to pay $5500 for a refurbish engine. It is to be noted I still owe over $8,000 on the car and I am paying insurance on it yet I have no transportation. I too will never buy a Saturn again.

4th Jan 2006, 14:51

A hole in the engine? This sounds implausible. Could you elaborate? Was it a cracked engine block, a blown head gasket or something else? What were the symptoms?

And when you saw the oil light on, did you check to see if you were low on oil? Generally, an oil light or its sensor is not something that needs adjusting. Could it be that your engine died because there was no oil in the engine?

1997 Saturn SW 2 1.4 Litre from North America

Summary:

Incredibly reliable even after 120000+ miles

Ever since I bought the car, it leaks oil. Big time. I have taken it to two different non-Saturn garages and they do not know what is causing this.

General Comments:

The car has a problem with oil leakage. I'm in a rural area and haven't gone to a Saturn dealer yet.

The interior has a kind of cheap look and feel, but it is adequate.

I got the car when it had over 115,000 miles on it and I've run it for another 11,000 more with absolutely no problems.

GREAT gas mileage - 35+ mpg. But I only go 55 mph (even on the Interstate) and I accelerate very slowly.

I treat this car with respect and hopefully it will do the same!!!

Review Date: 2nd September, 2005

1997 Saturn SW from North America

Summary:

Piece of junk

The air conditioner went out 90 days after I purchased it. With 79000 The belt froze, and the compressor quit. This month it no longer will go into reverse. The car rattles all the time.

I just want to get rid of it, but can't the way it is running.

I would never purchase another used Saturn.

General Comments:

This car is a real lemon, no wonder it has been sold so many times.

Review Date: 14th September, 2004