2001 Skoda Octavia Reviews - Page 7 of 8

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.9 turbo diesel Manual
Previous carVolvo 440

Summary:

Cheaper and (better than) Volkswagen would like!

Radio would not illuminate when I first got the car.

General Comments:

The Octavia is a practical family car and the large boot is excellent (the biggest Volkswagen Group car with a hatchback) attracting many admiring compliments from my friends.

The diesel engine has brilliant economy at around 700 miles/1100 kilometers a tankful, however it is not a Volkswagen "Pump Duse" engine and performance therefore suffers, but it's still a decent performer.

Rear legroom isn't brilliant, compensation for a big boot, but I have a friend who is over 6 foot and he doesn't think it is any worse then a Mondeo or a Passat and better then the Bora it's based on.

In the cabin it needs more cup holders (only 2 one in the back and one in the front) and a better sounding stereo would be good, but the parking ticket holder on the inside of the windscreen's a nice touch.

As for handling it beats the equivalent Volkswagens due to it's stiffer and better ride that's needed for rough Czech roads compared to the smooth German ones of Volkswagen.

Review Date: 3rd August, 2002

2001 Skoda Octavia RS 1.8 petrol turbo from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol turbo Manual
Previous carSeat Ibiza

Summary:

A practical performance bargain

So far nothing, but only had it for under 2 months. Some wear on driver seat, but it was an ex-demonstrator.

General Comments:

After my last car, I wanted something which was quick, comfortable and had plenty of extras on it, so after looking at several cars I eventually found a black Octavia RS which had everything I was after.

Performance is excellent and sprints to 60 in under 8 seconds using the same 180bhp lump found in the Audi TT. I've had some fun in this car at traffic lights and on the motorway.

The spec is excellent with 17" alloys, climate, leather, ABS , traction control, power steering, trip computer and electric windows/mirrors all standard. The boots also huge. Scorpion alarm was an optional extra, but I got it fitted as part of the deal :-)

Here's another good thing to note about this car - it's fuel consumption. I have managed to hit 46 MPG on a 400 mile round trip to Birmingham. That's excellent for a performance car. Although if you have a heavy right foot it will start to drink the juice, but it's worth it for the fun factor you get.

Overall handling of the car could be a bit better as the steering is not that responsive, but there's little to no body roll.

The final positive feature of this car is it's price. There's not many cars that give you so much for such little outlay. The only big price you pay with this car is the insurance as it's a group 16 - ouch!.

If your after a reliable, well built and seriously quick car then look no further. So it's a Skoda. Do you think I care?

Review Date: 10th June, 2002

4th Feb 2004, 18:45

Excellent review - this will be my next car I hope - but please give us an update - whats it like after 2 years or so.

8th Feb 2004, 12:52

With regard to the previous comment. I bought a brand new Octavia vRS in August 2002. I have now covered 33000 miles of trouble free motoring and can quite happily say that this is the best car I have ever owned. The only problem I have had was a slight rattle from inside of the drivers door, this was fixed under warranty during a service. At the last service the dealer also replaced all four ignition coils as a precaution, as there is a occasional fault with some coils that were fitted to the 1.8 turbo engine.

I can only echo the comments of the review. The Octavia vRS is quick, excellent to drive, practical, good to look at and very economical for a performance car. As for insurance, shop around, my premium was about £650 from Skoda insurance. The cheapest any other insurance company could quote was about £850 up-to about £1500.

Buy one, you won't be disappointed!