18th Mar 2014, 09:24

I have the 1997 Musso with the 3.2L petrol engine. It has all the symptoms that a lot of other owners have. The engine stalling and erratic idle. I replaced all vacuum hoses, as they crack and suck air through or just fall off; this fixed the erratic idling... The stalling was in the immobilizer key pad, as I was having to press the button again to restart it... now it runs perfect.

13th Dec 2014, 04:50

My 1998 Musso 4WD auto 3.2 litre wagon has been in an RACV garage for 3 months.

Engine turns, but does not start. Fuses, fuse box, etc all checked out, crank angle sensor checked out.

After several weeks, the fault was with the ECU. The ECU was sent to a Melbourne garage, & took another month before I was told that it's not repairable.

Can someone please help, I've been asked to look for the VDO ECU Model A1625453032, with matching theft module, card reader & keys. I've spent several hours on the web without any luck. If you can provide useful help, please reply to tonyg123@hotmail.com.

Thanks in advance!

27th Dec 2014, 19:50

Hi, Trevor from Aus. I have a 2005 Musso Sports. The auto won't select. I can hear it trying, and when I put it back into Park, it gives a small grind, but I can push the car while it's in park. Some ideas would be great.

19th Feb 2015, 14:17

Hi from Nigeria. I own a Musso 97, and it was not starting despite it turning over. Sometimes I go to get gas in it, and at the fuel station it refuses to start. I had the plugs changed and the starter problems stopped, but the idling and acceleration became very rough. I wonder what spark plug specification is recommended for a 97 Musso with a V6 engine?

14th Mar 2015, 00:08

My 1998 Musso 3.2 petrol has the stalling issue also. I want to find out the fuel immobilizer bypass instructions??

30th Jun 2015, 10:01

Is this forum is still active? There are lots of questions I have in mind, with my Musso 661 TDI automatic 2005.

10th Sep 2015, 05:34

Hi, I am having the same problem in my Musso and changed the crank sensor, but it is doing the same thing. What can it be now?

18th Sep 2015, 22:02

G'day, I have a 1996 Musso Wagon with the 3.2 litre Mercedes petrol engine and running gear. Reading the forum comments, it seems that intermittent cutting out is a generic problem. This vehicle is giving me the same problem and is now totally unreliable, resulting in none of the family being willing to drive it. I am reasonably mechanically minded and thought that the matter was fuel starvation, however looking at all the electronic comments, I am not so sure. Does anyone know if there are more filters between the tank and engine bay, other than the black round filter on the left side near the engine. Or any ideas on what else I should be looking for? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

7th Feb 2016, 21:37

Bang spot on!!

Been happening to me intermittently but yesterday at the supermarket. I did all my usual steps to "try" to fix this problem and nothing worked so I looked up this issue on the Internet and saw the first post. Suspected the poster was correct immediately, so I looked at my groceries and found some frozen peas. Wrapped it around the box and then went to try the start the car.... and presto!!!

My heart felt thanks goes to the poster with the solution :)

28th Feb 2016, 03:06

Have a 1998 Musso 3.2 petrol. Starts rough, runs like a hairy goat when cold, but picks up as it warms up. Have changed out the coil packs, replaced the plugs and leads, replaced fuel and air filters, removed and cleaned both air mass sensors. Checked vacuum hoses.

Are there any other items that I've missed or maybe a solution that I haven't thought of? Thanks in advance for your help.

16th Mar 2016, 11:52

Hi guys,

Got a Musso (year 2000) 2.9 turbo diesel here in the Philippines.

Looked robust with a Mercedes star - for the drive train I learned.

1. Where do I get a workshop manual / info? I need to check the vacuum system that stops the engine, regulates some stuff on the engine and for engaging 4 wheel drive.

After a mechanic visit it stops, but the hoses are blocked with a screw, one hose missing on top of... I'm guessing turbo waste gate, 4x4 does not work.

2. The engine rattles and shakes at low revs like crazy. What can it be?

15th Jun 2016, 11:52

Send me a e-mail and I'll send you the manual.

poekie39@hotmail.com

7th Oct 2016, 22:45

Hi, we have have a 2007 2.9 diesel Musso Sports. I was driving it and heard a horrible noise, then it just died; it will turn over, but not fire. Checked the oil and there's none on the dip stick. Is it stuffed, or is there a safety thing that will prevent it from starting again until the oil is at a safe level?

2nd Dec 2016, 05:07

What did you wrap the peas around?