1988 Suzuki Samurai Reviews - Page 3 of 5

1988 Suzuki Samurai base 1.3 from North America

First year of ownership1988
Most recent year of ownership1993
Previous carMercury Lynx

Summary:

Best vehicle I ever had

Lockouts, re-lubricated at about 30K. Appeared not to have been greased! Rustsicles had formed under covers and on splines would not engage.

Had rotors & drums turned at about 40K, tried metallic pads (ouch!) switched to organic :)

Put 205 70's on it at about 30K...almost too wide for snow, but great for over-sand.

Hit a deer at about 86K, new fender & grille.

General Comments:

64 horsepower teaches patience & humility. Got 26MPG like a clock; didn't matter how I drove it! Worst MPG: 15, after a week of surfcasting.

Review Date: 25th September, 2006

Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

I Love Lil Zuk

Ignition Cylinder broke, MY FAULT.

Standard maintenance items, timing belt, new brake pads, air cleaner, fuel filter and some new tires. Better Safe than Sorry.

General Comments:

Well as you can see I have not owned this Lil Zuk very long, but I am Hooked. I own 3- 4x4's of my own and this Lil Zuk is quickly becoming my favorite. She is not real fast and if she gets to 65 it takes a bit of time and patience on my part (I have an old Toyota 4x4 with a 327, way to fast) so needless to say I am learning. She has heart and soul and is willing to go any place you point her & she doesn't complain.

Review Date: 11th December, 2005

Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

The most fun one can have on four wheels

I have replaced the rear U joints, and one set of plugs and that is all.

General Comments:

This is the funniest car I have ever owned.

It may take a while to get there, but it'll run down the highway at seventy miles per hour easy.

Not sure what the rollover problem is since I drive it pretty aggressively and it's never given me any problems.

No matter how much I abuse it, it always start and always runs. Best $400 I ever spent.

Review Date: 22nd March, 2005

24th Mar 2005, 18:56

If your samurai ever dies (not likely), or you get sick of it and want a different car (much more likely), you should try an X-90! The off-road worthiness of a Samurai, looks awesome, gets great mileage, and is REALLY FUN.

20th May 2008, 15:50

Yeah, really I got a ticket for going 78mph in a 70mph. If you feel that your Samurai is underpowered, you need to learn how to tune a carb or learn how to drive a stick.

First year of ownership1994
Distance when acquired120000 miles
Previous carMazda B2200

Summary:

This is one great hunting vehicle!

When I bought this Suzuki Samurai for my teenage son, he ignored the oil warning light and ultimately blew up the engine. I got it from him, and installed another engine. The seats are shot and are in need of refurbishing. The hood release broke on me. I've had to replace the original radiator and rag top.

General Comments:

Once I got this little 4x4 back to life, it runs and runs! I use it for my hunting vehicle and it will go out and get my deer and haul them back without any fuss.

For a recreational vehicle, this is one reliable and fun vehicle to knock around in on and off road. It will haul your gear out to the boonies and bring you home again.

Review Date: 15th March, 2005

1988 Suzuki Samurai JX 1.3L from North America

Engine and transmission 1.3L Manual
Previous carPorsche 928

Summary:

A fantastic bargain for 4WD

Rebuilt rear brakes, wheel cylinders and Master Cylinder at 100,000 miles, had front discs turned.

Drivers seat was shot when I bought the rig, but some covers fixed that problem.

Starter liked to stick a little, but there are some very good "clicky-fix" repair solutions on Ebay.

General Comments:

This car is a blast to drive - it has a removable hardtop, so summer is loads of fun - plus my dogs like it! Not as powerful as I'd like, but since I bought it for its 4WD capability and not performance, I can't complain. It's a tight, neat little utility rig. It holds diving gear, hunting gear, dog gear, shooting gear - you name it, and I never worry about getting it messy inside.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2004