1988 Suzuki Samurai 1.3 liter from North America

Wonderful, pure sport utility jeep

The soft top has worn away, and recently I hit a real nasty pot hole, and my steering knuckle started to leak.

General Comments:

My favorite car of all time. I've been commuting in my Samurai for over 5 years now. I'm no mechanic, but I've found that so much on this buggy is fixable by the do-it-yourselfer.

I found another complete Samurai and bought it for 300 bucks in 2010. I transplanted the soft top, fuel pump, inspection shield, starter, a section of the driveshaft, and have stored all kinds of parts off of it that I was able to pull off.

This rig is a legend in my mind.

Review Date: 7th October, 2014

7th Oct 2014, 21:05

A Jeep is a Jeep - Jeep is a brand name, a Suzuki Samurai is not a Jeep, it's a Suzuki and it couldn't follow in a Jeep's tracks. In fact a Samurai would need to call a Jeep to pull it out of whatever it gets stuck in.

10th Oct 2014, 22:53

Yes... a Jeep is a Jeep... owned by Chrysler. A jeep is altogether different (lower case j). The term was coined in the early 40's for the army's general purpose vehicle... (GP). Since saying GP quickly sounded like jeep, they just began to call the little buggies jeeps. I would never own a Jeep. But a jeep I'll take all day.

7th Jan 2015, 15:10

You hold Jeeps in way too high an opinion. Get a Toyota or a better equipped vehicle. I love off roading, and I would never buy a Jeep for this purpose.

27th Jan 2016, 22:27

LOL, I know from experience it's the opposite buddy!!!

16th May 2016, 23:56

I bought a 1988 Suzuki Samurai brand new. I kept it for 11 years and didn't have to put a dime into it other than tires and mufflers. I did replace the timing belt, but that was preventive maintenance. If I had to do it all over again I'd still buy one, although I'd get a tin top instead of the soft top. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I just bought a 2016 Nissan Frontier. I hope I get the same lifetime out of it.

1st Jun 2016, 08:38

I have owned 6 Jeeps, from the first V-8 made in 1972, and many others as well.

I can emphatically explain that the Jeep does not match the Suzuki

for off-road ability. Not once sir: but at least a dozen times I have out-climbed Jeeps easily. I was embarrassed by one when I owned a Jeep.

The lighter weight and narrow wheel track make it an extremely versatile and able 4x4. Not to mention, I used to install 1000s of extra into my Jeeps. The Sidekick gets the job done on 1/3 the cost of upgrades... and usually can be repaired in the field. My Jeep almost never.

I have driven Jeeps since 1960 and owned 6 as I stated. It was PROVEN to me that the small... cheap Sidekick was easier to drive and superior. I now own two happily.

1988 Suzuki Samurai 1.3 liter 4 cylinder from North America

Piece of crap

Exhaust leaks into the passenger compartment.

Holes in the floor big enough for me to put my head through.

No lights.

Transfer case exploded at 178,000 miles.

Review Date: 20th May, 2014

21st May 2014, 16:41

I'll be the first to say it. Look how many miles were on the Suzuki when you bought it, look how many miles you got out of it (according to your review), and look how old it is, and it still runs, yet you call it a POS? C'mon now...

If you hate it so much, sell it to an off-road enthusiast who will appreciate what the Samurai is and what it's capable of!

22nd Jul 2014, 23:12

I have owned an '88 Zuk for about four years. I've replaced the engine, rebuilt the transmission, put in a new carpet, replaced the head gasket on the replacement engine, new paint, and I am very happy with it; it's my daily driver and I think it is beautiful. Maybe your expectations are too high? The love you get is equal to the love you give.

24th Jul 2014, 20:08

Those are all wear and tear items that you described. That's actually a really short list for a truck with almost 300K miles on it.