1988 Suzuki Samurai Reviews - Page 4 of 5

1988 Suzuki Samurai 1.3 from North America

Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

No power, no weight, and awesome traction make a great combination!

The usual transfer case shifter "sheet" or bushing has gone bad (real easy and cheap to replace). I've replaced the front knuckle joint rubber seals, the wheel bearings on the drivers side, and some other misc. nothing special things (lights, stupid factory accessories...)

General Comments:

This is a very cool truck (no it is not a car!). I've added the Spring Over Axle lift modification {about 4 inches or so over stock), custom shock mounts in the back, some amazing Super Swamper TSL **SX** tires {they are 29x10.5 bias ply), I've applied Dupi color truck bed liner in the interior, and added a Cal-mini (R) header. Soon to come is a Lock-rite locker in the rear differential to add more traction in slippery situations.

Review Date: 13th August, 2001

14th Aug 2001, 12:54

Whoops, same person here... I had forgotten to mention, Florida USA. I am very happy with my little Suzuki!

29th Sep 2002, 17:32

Does anyone out there know where I can get replacement rear seat belts for a 1988 Suzuki Samurai? I have the bottom part where the belt locks into, but am missing the lap belts.. I assume there are no shoulder harnesses in the back seat, just lap.

28th May 2003, 13:07

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement top for a 1988 Suzuki Samurai? I'm looking for either hard or soft.

11th Mar 2005, 14:51

I'm looking for a Suzuki Samurai and I live in Florida. I was wondering if anyone knows someone selling one or were I could get one in Florida.

Thank you, TJ.

20th May 2008, 15:44

I've got a Samurai too, and I love the truck bed liner I put in it. About once a year I'll pull the seats out and give it a good wash. It is a must if you use your Samurai for playing in the mud.

1988 Suzuki Samurai Base 1.3L from North America

First year of ownership1996
Engine and transmission 1.3L Manual
Previous carNissan Pathfinder

Summary:

My best friend

Nothing yet.

General Comments:

I bought this vehicle just to have in the winter because I was driving two MR2's as my dailys. I ended up driving the Samurai more often than the Toyota MR2's! It's more fun to drive than anything I've ever driven, Jeeps included.

I rebuilt the engine, not cause it needed it, at 104,000 miles to see if I could get more power. It has 6" of lift, 32's and a GRSI case now with a 1.3L pumping out about 110hp! It screams down the highway and is AWESOME off-road!

In all honesty, I will never sell it, unless you really make me an offer, and I plan to keep this truck forever! Only cost me $366 to rebuild! Try that on ANY other vehicle!

RELIABLE sums this vehicle up in one word!

On another note, I drove the MR2's VERY fast, one had a twin turbo modification that pushed 360hp. The Samurai was driven just as fast around corners, if I could get it up there, and never rolled! What drunk ass is rolling these little machines??? Someone needs a swift kick in the pants!

Dear Suzuki, BRING THESE BACK TO THE STATES!!!

Review Date: 9th August, 2001

12th May 2002, 03:01

It's incredible.

So you got 110 HP with your Samurai, but I didn't really understand how? Could you be more explicit please?

Thanks a lot.

25th May 2002, 19:01

I am considering the purchase of a 1988 Suzuki Samurai with 186,500 miles on it. Generally I would not think too highly of purchasing a vehicle with this amount of miles on it. I would love to know how you were able to rebuild the engine and get that much of an improvement. I just don't want to buy anything that won't get out of its way. Please email me at automan363@villagepop.com

Thanks-

1988 Suzuki Samurai JA 1.3 gas from North America

First year of ownership1988
Engine and transmission 1.3 gas Manual
Previous carVolkswagen Beetle

Summary:

One tough and reliable 4x4!

Replaced the clutch at 118,000 miles.

Replaced U-joints at 118,000 miles.

Starter relay replaced at 149,000.

Front brakes replaced at 92,000.

Rear brakes replaced at 151,000.

Hoses and belt replaced at 92,000.

Driver's seat is worn out.

General Comments:

This vehicle has been extremely reliable. I have added a lift kit, larger tires, rear locker, gear reduction transfer case, and various other accessories.

The ride is terrible. The interior is small. Yet this vehicle has been through some incredibly tough trails. It is great in the snow when in 4wd, if in 2wd you won't go far.

When new (with stock tires, gearing, etc.) the vehicle averaged 32 mpg. With the modifications (tires, gearing) and over 151,000 miles, it now averages 25 mpg.

The engine is still completely stock and the head has never been off. It just passed the CA emissions test with ease. Until about 100,000 miles, the engine never used any oil between changes (every 5000). Now it uses about a quart every 3000 miles.

This is one tough little vehicle. I paid about $7000 US for this car in 1988 and I still take it out four-wheeling regularly. With gas prices on the rise I drive it more often than my 1993 Ford Bronco (4wd, 351 V8).

Review Date: 21st July, 2001