1988 Suzuki Samurai Reviews - Page 5 of 5

First year of ownership1988
Most recent year of ownership2000
Engine and transmission 1.3 gas Manual
Most recent distance192000 miles

Summary:

The car you love to hate. Very reliable, but very low performance

A pin in the shifter broke three times. The third time, I found that Suzuki had designed a heavied-up pin and housing to replace it, and it hasn't broken again. That was over 100K miles ago. Obviously a design flaw that they corrected.

In 192,000 miles, it has also needed two clutch replacements and I've been down to the valves and rings once, probably at about 100K miles. I think that's acceptable. The clutch, though, is absurdly small. It should be on a child's toy. I've bought an aftermarket clutch to install the next time the clutch goes bad, which I believe is coming up soon. It is said to have an improved grip without changing the requisite pedal pressure. We shall see.

I've had to replace the seats with readily available aftermarket items. Had a problem burning up alternators, but that hasn't recurred in a few years. An impossible to diagnose starting problem was solved by pirating a relay off of another car.

General Comments:

That's about it. I hated this car the moment I saw it. I bought it for my girlfriend, because it was the cheapest 4x4 available. She has now been my wife for over a decade. I have hated to see the Sammy in my driveway for the last eight years or more, but it keeps running like a top just to tick me off.

For the last 3/4 of its life, it has had even worse performance than when it was new, and the mileage has fallen from 30 mpg to 24. I guess I've had worse car problems, though.

Review Date: 9th December, 2000

27th Jun 2009, 10:27

I like this writers opinion, he strikes me as a guy who tells it like it is. This was a good honest comment...thanks, bob.

5th Jan 2010, 21:28

My Samurai has been my primary vehicle for 15 years, and the durability surpasses anything I have ever owned. I do my own repairs, and have spent no more than 350.00 dollars on this vehicle in that time. I paid 2000.00 for it in 95, and still love it.

Anthony, South Carolina.

1988 Suzuki Samurai 413 1.3 petrol from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture1988
Engine and transmission 1.3 petrol

Nothing.

General Comments:

This was my first jeep and very good it was too. Very stylish at the time but a very rough ride.

Review Date: 23rd August, 1997