1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 3.4L V6 from North America

Summary:

As far as it's possible to love an object, I love this car

Car started to overheat at 110000 miles.

Driver's side seat wearing badly.

Front rotors need to be replaced regularly.

Mileage is not the greatest (about 16 mpg).

General Comments:

This car is extremely reliable. I bought it from my brother in law, and neither him nor I have ever been left stranded (Knock on wood.).

It handles well for an SUV, has good cargo capacity, and has enough power to deal with aggressive city driving.

Like anything else, maintenance is key. In the two years I've owned this car, I have changed the rotors once, and had those rotors shaved during a brake job. Also had timing belt and water pump changed. This was on me, my wife was pregnant at the time, and I did not want to risk a busted timing belt. In general, all that this car has needed is routine and preventive maintenance.

Recently though, it was overheating and a good flush and boil of the radiator took care of that.

The interior has held very well, all knobs work, AC is FRIGID, all power functions work.

The body has held beautifully in the range of temperature and weather of New York City. Four wheel drive works great in heavy rains and snow/ice conditions. I don't need to have a shovel in the car to dig my way in and out of parking spots. To date I have been able to get in and out of any parking spot no matter how high the snow was piled.

This truck has a really nice look to it, and at 12 years old does not look dated at all.

Review Date: 8th October, 2008

1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 turbo diesel from Argentina

Summary:

Recommended for anyone who is looking for a 4X4 at a reasonable price

Nothing wrong with good maintenance.

This car is a rock.

I suggest Yokohama tires.

General Comments:

I use regularly this car to go in the Andes Cordillera mountain chain at altitudes above 12.000 feet.

For the remote places I drive, you expect the vehicle not to fail.

I had a previous 4Runner 2.8 without turbo. This one is far better at altitude.

All mining companies established at high altitude drive exclusively Toyota.

Review Date: 15th September, 2008

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 from North America

Summary:

Oh What A Feeling...Toyota!

No problems to date, and Don't expect any - any time soon.

General Comments:

Bought this 4Runner on 12/31/07 - mileage was 171,000, paid $4300.00 for it. Vehicle is in Great Shape, No rust, considering this is a Wisconsin vehicle, and we use allot of salt on our roads in winter. ( the high milage was Not even an issue in my consideration of purchasing this vehicle..it's a Toyota )

Previous owner used Synthetic oil, and the motor runs very quietly, can't even hear it running.

There are No leaks or drips of anything anywhere.

Believed to be the original timing belt.

"Everything" works, no issues.

LOVE the rear window, as it rolls down inside the tailgate, can't wait for warm weather to open the roof, and roll ALL the windowns down and force all of that air thru the back window!

Absolutely LOVE to drive this truck, it is still a very tight handling truck.. seems like more of a car than a truck other than when you hit pot holes, then it's a truck - I'm O.K. with that! I will drive this into the ground... and will seek out Another one when this one is done.

Locating a used 4Runners is fairly difficult, because No one seems to get rid of them, I was patient and Lucky to find this one.

Review Date: 20th January, 2008

19th Jul 2010, 20:44

Just replaced the original timing belt & water pump at 199,500 miles. Belt was still in extremely good shape and could have driven it a lot further, but had a long road trip ahead of me, and wanted to make sure I was not going to have any problems. Mechanic was totally impressed with the condition of the belt... could it be the synthetic oil?

I've only done brakes, tires & now the belt and water pump... this truck rocks! Will seek out another one when the time comes! Also wondering what it is about the '96. Rarely ever see this year out there for sale, lots of 95's and down, and 97's and up. STILL, Oh, what a feeling, Toyota! Just love THIS truck!!