1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 2.8L from North America

Summary:

This truck is as solid as a tank

Nothing has ever gone wrong with this truck.

General Comments:

Extremely reliable.

I use it to tow a small trailer carrying anything from fire wood to earth.

I also mount a 6 foot snow plow to the front every winter, plowing 10 driveways every snow fall.

Positively the best vehicle I have ever owned.

The only thing I would change if I could go back in time is get the 3.4 L engine for the extra power.

Review Date: 18th March, 2005

14th Nov 2009, 01:08

I am the original poster for this review. I have now owned this truck for 13 years. I have 190,000 km on the truck.

I lube the rear window motor religiously every year. It is still functioning properly to this date.

For the last few years the parking/emergency brake has been seizing up. I didn't need to replace it, just had it lubricated and it too is working well. I just have to have it lubed every year. This year (2009) I have had to replace the starter motor and the muffler assembly.

Other than the above, oil changes, undercoating, filters, battery, tires, etc, nothing else.

Fantastic truck for the money. Always gets me where I want to go and back. Extremely reliable. Well built. Despite the winters and the salt used on the roads there is no rust on the vehicle. Exceptional value for your money. Sometimes, when I see the new trucks out there I think of buying one, but I doubt I'll see this kind of reliability. So I'm going to try to keep this until it gives out, and its not showing any sign of giving out. It drives as well as the day I drove it off the lot.

14th Jan 2013, 19:58

How are you lubing the back window and what are you using to do it? I am noticing mine is getting a little slower in motion, and seems to be a little tighter. I also am a poster about my '96 4Runner and am still in love with it. Approaching 237,000 miles, and today I had to replace the window washer fluid pump... Oh no!! LOL! This is the only repair I have had to do to it, other than the brakes, rotors, tires & timing belt. Most incredible and reliable vehicle out there!

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4x4 3.4L V6 from North America

Summary:

Wouldn't trade it for anything!!!

Nothing major at all.

Just did the basic maintenance and that's it!!!

General Comments:

I have love this truck from the day bought it, but each day it gets a little better. The truck is very heavy, but handles extremly well for its size. I get about 19 MPG city and 20-22 MPG highway even to this day. This truck is bullet-proof as long s you are religious about doing your maintenance. I do all my own maintenance because as good as Toyota's are... the dealers are total crooks. I really can't say enough about the truck itself and will certainly be buying another used one this spring.

Review Date: 14th February, 2004

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 from North America

Summary:

Well worth the money

The head gasket blew at 40000km.

A rear axle seal has been causing a lot of problems, it has been fixed four times now. My fingers are crossed.

General Comments:

This truck has generally been very good to me, other than the few problems I have had, I love it.

Now for the dealer, that's a complete different story. I have been to many different dealers around Western Canada with no real problems, but the last one I've been dealing with, they sure have caused me some grief.

Toyota Canada though has come to the rescue, they have done a real good job.

Review Date: 17th October, 2001

13th Mar 2005, 07:20

Rear axle seals -- probably vent problem.

6th Oct 2006, 15:13

What are some of the symptoms of a blown axle seal. I've blown two and I think I've blown a third?

2nd Sep 2007, 02:08

What is the size and displacement of your engine?