1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 3.7 V6 from North America

Astounding reliability, comfort and fun. This car will live forever

Master cylinder and rear axle seals needed to be replaced at 321334.

Sunroof motor doesn't work.

Rust rotted out my shock mounts in the rear, so they needed to be re-welded.

With this mileage on an American car I'd have had to replace the transmission and engine by now. The 4Runner doesn't care one bit.

General Comments:

This is an absolutely astounding vehicle and I don't think anything could possibly be improved about it. I will get another one when (if) this one ever dies. It's a very attractive car and everything just feels "right".

Heat and A/C are incredibly good; they're the best I've ever seen. Front seats are CRAZY comfortable. Remarkably quiet ride. Speaker placement is excellent. The power rear window is great - it lets me push airflow throughout the entire car, not just into my hair, and also lets me hear cars when they are behind me.

The car has a remarkably good and strong 4x4 system, with a push button that engages and disengages 4WD smoothly in one second, whenever you like.

After 18 years, absolutely everything works except the sunroof motor.

The car has tons of room inside and is nicely laid out, aside from the stupid cupholder (ask anyone with a 3rd Gen about this, and you'll see what I mean).

I purchased it at 321000 because I knew it would hold up, and it is unstoppable. It's got all-original everything. The only area of wear in the entire car is the driver's seat, and a little rust on the tailgate.

This car (and this particular generation, from 1996-1999) is legendary for a reason. There is nothing on the road like a 90s 4Runner.

Review Date: 23rd March, 2015

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4L V6 from North America

A great truck for work or play, and very, very reliable

Timing belt and water pump done by the dealer at 67k.

Rear axle seal done by the dealer under warranty at 43k.

Rear axle seal done again at 100k.

Driver's seat replaced at 110k.

Driver's side brake caliper at 125k.

Rear shocks at 125k.

Starter at 160k.

Tree fell on it at 191k. Totaled :(

General Comments:

The most reliable car I've owned. Stuff happens when you drive a car year round in a place like New Jersey where they salt or brine the roads if we're about to get a dusting of snow.

The car had lots of power. Did 0-60 in power mode in about 10 seconds. Pulled a 3000 pound trailer without issue.

Both the A/C and heat were the best I've ever had in a car.

I treated it more like a pickup truck than an SUV. I miss it.

Review Date: 5th September, 2014

1996 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 3.4 V6 from North America

Best ever

General Comments:

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am a Toyota guy (Corolla's and a van), but this thing takes the cake. It is so strong and easy to drive.

It looks easily 7 years newer than it is. Most people think it's a 2002 or newer, if they don't know Toyota cycles. I have never had so much confidence in a vehicle.

Review Date: 19th September, 2012

1996 Toyota 4Runner Base 2.7L 4 cylinder from North America

Never, never dies

Throwout bearing after pulling a 5,000lb trailer 2,000 miles in mountains... never died, just noisy... 225,000 miles.

Exhaust manifold at 275,000 miles.

Otherwise, tires, belts, and basic maintenance, plugs, wires, etc.

General Comments:

Needs better cup holders, but fixed on newer models.

This is a great car... my second with such miles. Neither ever left me stranded anywhere.

We have a 2009 Venza, but still use the 4Runner to travel, due to space. Hardcore Toyota fan due to experience.

Review Date: 26th August, 2012

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 3.4L V6 gasoline from North America

Extremely practical, but a bit thirsty

Rear axle seal x3 (twice under warranty).

Outer O2 sensor @ 140,000.

Rear seat heater pipes started leaking @ 140,000.

Starter @ 145,000.

Stabilizer links @ 160,000.

Carpeting is thin, with a large wear hole in the driver's foot well.

General Comments:

My parents bought the car three years used in 1999. It was my mom's car until she "upgraded" to a 2005 Toyota Highlander in 2008. I think I got the better end of the deal.

For a car of its size and weight, it is pretty zippy. With the AC off and ECT POWER mode activated, it does 0-60 in about 10 seconds. It's maneuverability is not quite on par with a sedan, but for what it is, it is very decent.

The brakes are very good as well, but you need to keep on top of pads and rotors. My truck has a three channel anti-lock system that has helped me avoid a few potential disasters.

As far as the inside and the amenities, I generally like it. The carpeting is thin, which has allowed for a few holes to develop. Additionally, the speakers are not placed well and are often blocked by the driver's or passenger's legs.

The AC and heat are both very nice. I strongly prefer the sliders, which you can feel actually adjusting the heater core and ducting, to any electronic climate control system.

Bottom line is that my truck was built to take a pounding. I use it more like one would use a pickup truck, and it survives.

I just wish I could do a bit better than 16 miles per gallon. I will say that I tend to get better mileage on Shell, Hess, Exxon and Sunoco gasolines than I do on off brand ones. Every little bit helps!

Review Date: 23rd September, 2011