1996 Toyota 4Runner Reviews

Engine and transmission 3.4 V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired190000 miles
Most recent distance195000 miles
Previous carToyota Van

Summary:

Best ever

Nothing.

General Comments:

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I am a Toyota guy (Corolla's and a van), but this thing takes the cake. It is so strong and easy to drive.

It looks easily 7 years newer than it is. Most people think it's a 2002 or newer, if they don't know Toyota cycles. I have never had so much confidence in a vehicle.

Review Date: 19th September, 2012

1996 Toyota 4Runner Base 2.7L 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.7L 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carHonda Passport

Summary:

Never, never dies

Throwout bearing after pulling a 5,000lb trailer 2,000 miles in mountains... never died, just noisy... 225,000 miles.

Exhaust manifold at 275,000 miles.

Otherwise, tires, belts, and basic maintenance, plugs, wires, etc.

General Comments:

Needs better cup holders, but fixed on newer models.

This is a great car... my second with such miles. Neither ever left me stranded anywhere.

We have a 2009 Venza, but still use the 4Runner to travel, due to space. Hardcore Toyota fan due to experience.

Review Date: 26th August, 2012

1996 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 3.4L V6 gasoline from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 3.4L V6 gasoline Automatic
Previous carSubaru SVX

Summary:

Extremely practical, but a bit thirsty

Rear axle seal x3 (twice under warranty).

Outer O2 sensor @ 140,000.

Rear seat heater pipes started leaking @ 140,000.

Starter @ 145,000.

Stabilizer links @ 160,000.

Carpeting is thin, with a large wear hole in the driver's foot well.

General Comments:

My parents bought the car three years used in 1999. It was my mom's car until she "upgraded" to a 2005 Toyota Highlander in 2008. I think I got the better end of the deal.

For a car of its size and weight, it is pretty zippy. With the AC off and ECT POWER mode activated, it does 0-60 in about 10 seconds. It's maneuverability is not quite on par with a sedan, but for what it is, it is very decent.

The brakes are very good as well, but you need to keep on top of pads and rotors. My truck has a three channel anti-lock system that has helped me avoid a few potential disasters.

As far as the inside and the amenities, I generally like it. The carpeting is thin, which has allowed for a few holes to develop. Additionally, the speakers are not placed well and are often blocked by the driver's or passenger's legs.

The AC and heat are both very nice. I strongly prefer the sliders, which you can feel actually adjusting the heater core and ducting, to any electronic climate control system.

Bottom line is that my truck was built to take a pounding. I use it more like one would use a pickup truck, and it survives.

I just wish I could do a bit better than 16 miles per gallon. I will say that I tend to get better mileage on Shell, Hess, Exxon and Sunoco gasolines than I do on off brand ones. Every little bit helps!

Review Date: 23rd September, 2011

1996 Toyota 4Runner Limited 3.4L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 3.4L V6 Automatic
Most recent distance112000 miles
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

As far as it's possible to love an object, I love this car

Car started to overheat at 110000 miles.

Driver's side seat wearing badly.

Front rotors need to be replaced regularly.

Mileage is not the greatest (about 16 mpg).

General Comments:

This car is extremely reliable. I bought it from my brother in law, and neither him nor I have ever been left stranded (Knock on wood.).

It handles well for an SUV, has good cargo capacity, and has enough power to deal with aggressive city driving.

Like anything else, maintenance is key. In the two years I've owned this car, I have changed the rotors once, and had those rotors shaved during a brake job. Also had timing belt and water pump changed. This was on me, my wife was pregnant at the time, and I did not want to risk a busted timing belt. In general, all that this car has needed is routine and preventive maintenance.

Recently though, it was overheating and a good flush and boil of the radiator took care of that.

The interior has held very well, all knobs work, AC is FRIGID, all power functions work.

The body has held beautifully in the range of temperature and weather of New York City. Four wheel drive works great in heavy rains and snow/ice conditions. I don't need to have a shovel in the car to dig my way in and out of parking spots. To date I have been able to get in and out of any parking spot no matter how high the snow was piled.

This truck has a really nice look to it, and at 12 years old does not look dated at all.

Review Date: 8th October, 2008