1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4L from North America

An outstanding and reliable vehicle

I just noticed for the 2nd time, during a tire rotation, that the left rear wheel seal is leaking. This occurred once before at 6 years ago. A half a day's work and it was fine until this week. Apart from that, there has been nothing else wrong.

General Comments:

This 4Runner has 61,000 original miles on it and it is amazing. I purchased it new when we needed to upgrade to a larger vehicle. I sold my '90 Camry LX with my wife crying to get this SUV. We both loved that car. The Camry as well did not have one problem in 8 years. Before I purchased my Camry, I was Chevy guy. But seeing what was coming off the line in the late 80s, I decided to go foreign. My father brought a 1975 Toyota Corolla for his office, and all 12 of them drove that thing all over. It lasted for 12 years, putting up with all types of driving styles, and it only went in for routine maintenance, so based on that I decide to go Toyota, and I have not looked back.

This 4Runner has never had its A/C recharged and still blows cold. The front disc brakes are original and they still spec out fine. Rear brakes were changed out when I had the other rear brake seal leakage. All the hoses and belts are also original with no sign of drying or weak spots. Brake fluid is changed every year.

Original shocks for this car are a bit stiff, but I liked it then as I do now. It's an amazing vehicle that I plan to have for many more years.

Most of the driving has been highway with several trips over 2200 miles, and it is a joy to drive. It has been loaded to bear on those long trips going through mountain ranges, and it was then I wished I had put on a blower, but it wasn't that bad.

I really cannot see purchasing a new car until this one dies, it performs so well.

Review Date: 8th September, 2015

1998 Toyota 4Runner from North America

It's indestructible!

I've had the 4Runner for a good 11+ years. The first years were inexpensive, until 6 years later or so, when I had replace the transmission.

General Comments:

I have no negative complaints! It can always keep up, great performance & reliable.

Fuel is somewhat pricey, but for the most part, it's a sick truck!

Review Date: 27th September, 2013

1998 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6 from North America

If you have the cash for gas, an OK vehicle

The head gasket just blew, which is probably normal for this many miles, but I take good care of my vehicles. I really don't know what to do with it now, as it really isn't worth much, except for the almost new tires I just put on it!!

I HAVE had good luck with the truck, besides replacing things like starters and alternators.

Not sure I would buy another Toyota 4runner, just because the ride is so bad in this vehicle. It really IS built more like a truck than an SUV.

General Comments:

I have owned 6 Toyota vehicles in my life, and they can nickle and dime you to death if they are not very carefully maintained throughout their lives.

Review Date: 18th February, 2011

1998 Toyota 4Runner Sport 2.7 I-4 from North America

Extremely reliable, and great for poor people!

I had to have the top end of the engine rebuilt at 124,000 as others have stated. But that is it. Everything else works.

Two things bother me, and I will soon fix them.

There is a serpentine belt squeak, and the fan under the hood rubs up against the plastic frame, but it isn't enough to make me go out tomorrow and fix them, if you get my drift.

General Comments:

My uncle was the original owner, and put 100k on it, then gave it to my dad. My dad put another 88k on it, then gave it to me.

It has black bumpers and handles, but ironically it has leather interior. The driver's seat is just now starting to see wear marks.

I put smaller tires on it, and they make a huge difference. I also change the oil religiously every 3 months or 3k miles, whether it needs it or not.

There also has only been 3 sets of tires, of which the ones I bought will last until 230k because I check the tire pressure once a week.

I live in California where the weather gets hot, and the air conditioning works fantastic.

My 2000 VW Jetta VR6 made it to 133k before I refused to dump anymore money into it. Basic engine stuff, nothing major, but still expensive.

Okay, people say these 4 cylinders are slow... Compared to a VR6, yes, but really they aren't that slow. I also have to admit I don't have the 4wd, which would add weight and cause it to be slower.

Review Date: 8th February, 2010

12th Apr 2011, 09:29

Original poster here for an update.

My truck now has 220,306 on the odometer and it's still running strong. No problems at all. I also want to note that I get an extra HP or two and several lb ft of torque when I use premium fuel. It ticks and knocks horribly when I use 87 octane fuel.

I also want to compliment Toyota for putting such a smooth shifting autobox in these trucks, or at least in the four cylinder models. I don't know if they are all reliable like mine is, but my transmission shifts effortlessly and without any hesitation. It is reluctant to downshift only because of how it's programed for better fuel mileage, but can get annoying when you feel like you have to really press on the pedal for a downshift.

My fuel mileage taps out at what the EPA states a 4 cylinder model could get 20/24. I also only use two types of fuel; Costco or Shell.

14th Nov 2011, 13:01

Original Poster again.

233,000 miles, and nothing wrong, I also haven't had to change the tires yet! Only complaint is the squeaks coming from the serpentine belts when it's cold. This is a common problem even with newer Toyota trucks though, so oh well.

28th Jun 2013, 10:50

Original Poster again. Here I am 6/28/2013 and Betsy has over 250,000 miles. Same tires as mentioned before.

A couple of things so far.

My A/C button fell off and I lost it for several weeks. This was quite annoying due to the BRIGHT light behind it; thankfully I found it when I tore the seats out. I used a piece of scotch tape to put it back in place.

Also, the u-joints went out and some a-hole stole my cat converter. Replaced u-joints & cat for $300.

The only other problem I see is a weird vibration at around 70 mph. Nothing bad, but not normal. I don't use Betsy any more as my daily commuter, but I am still amazed at how everything works after so many miles.

I need to replace the front windscreen because it's original and has so many nicks from freeway driving.

I'll never get rid of this great machine!