1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited 3.4 petrol from Nigeria

Summary:

It is very reliable, and gives me confidence wherever I drive it

The injector head gives problems on a regular basis. This makes the engine run at an RPM of greater than 4k while in the idle state.

The engine hums at higher rpm. I mean you hear the sound of the engine when driving, and I don't enjoy this about the car.

General Comments:

Generally the car has lived up to my expectations, and I will recommend it to any of my friends.

I also plan to buy a newer model after this one, or go for the Prado.

I love the all wheel facility added to this vehicle. You need to try it out.

Review Date: 19th December, 2010

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4X4 Limited 3.4 Litre DOHC V6 from North America

Summary:

The 4Runner is a great vehicle in any trim level, for those who like outdoor activities

The alarms and auto-locks went out at 200K miles, and cost a bundle to replace. Other than that, regular maintenance.

Seats are worn thru on the driver's side.

General Comments:

The engine is strong, but with the weight, it is not very powerful, but powerful enough. That said, it does have plenty of pull for the 5,000 pound tow rating. The available $x$ package for the Limited is extensive, and works great. Never had a problem.

I have taken this truck back and forth to work, and on vacations to the ocean and mountains. It has climbed thru the PA mountain's shale covered trails with no issues, and stands up to groups of screaming kids well.

The entry to the rear area is a bit cramped, as the rear wheel well intrudes a bit, and the main cabin is a tad tight as well.

Power is there when you need it, and it has a very capable and reliable tranny.

The hood is not well welded for stability, and has vibrated in the center on the bracing since new. Debated taking it back for a look-see, and decided against it. Not a real big deal.

Review Date: 14th October, 2010

1999 Toyota 4Runner V6 from North America

Summary:

I should have bought another GMC

Head gasket blown twice.

Fuel injectors tend to clog abnormally quickly.

Transmission shifts roughly sometimes.

Mileage is worse then my half ton GMC.

General Comments:

I think Toyota should have stuck to making 4 cylinder motors. The 6 drives OK, but performance is nothing to brag about.

Mileage should be much better for a truck this size.

Cabin is comfortable enough for a truck this size, but I feel it has all the drawbacks of a small car and a big truck.

It does drive well enough off road though, if you don't beat on it.

Review Date: 10th May, 2009

10th May 2009, 22:27

As a GMC owner I heartily agree with the title of your review. My GMC has never had one single problem... EVER. I definitely can't say the same about my imports. No more rice-burners for me!!

1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 3.4L from North America

Summary:

The best SUV you can buy and run right out of the box

#2 O2 sensor.

General Comments:

Very reliable.

Comfortable.

Very good both on and off road.

I looked for a manual 4runner for over a year. The only one I could find had high mileage, but having owned Toyotas in the past, the mileage (116000) did not seem excessive.

I cannot recommend this vehicle highly enough. It has done everything I have asked, and then some. It will ford over 2 foot of water. It has a limited slip rear, so with 4WD that means at least 3 powered wheels.

The only thing that keeps me from seriously off-roading it, is that it looks so good I don't want to scratch it

Review Date: 15th July, 2008

18th Jan 2010, 07:38

An update;

I just sold the 4runner with 155,000 miles on it. Got 3,000 less for it than I paid almost 4 years ago. Not bad. (I sold it at a friends car lot. It was on the lot for 2 hours!) I had no problems other than the O2 sensor in that time. I averaged 19.8 mpg over that time. I kept track of every tankful. I did use 89 octane as the truck definitely ran better with the higher octane. I live in West by God Virginia so that mileage was achieved in mountain driving. On one tankful in the flatlands I got almost 23 mpg.

I also sold my Dodge Ram, which surprisingly was also a very reliable truck. Just horrible gas mileage (12). So what did I buy? I combined the two and got a 1997 Tacoma xtra cab V6. In 20,000 miles or so I will review that. Happy Toyotaing...