2006 Toyota Avanza SX 1.5 from South Africa

Summary:

Disappointing!

Brake pads wore at around 4500km's, and continued to do so every 3500km's to 6000km's.

Front wheel bearings seize every 4000km's to 6000km's. Have already spent approximately R7000.00 on replacing the brake pads, and my Avanza has just done 40000 km's.

The wheel bearings are still under warranty, but have seized approximately around seven times to date.

Not sure what will happen when my car is off the warranty and I have to start paying for the wheel bearings every time they seize??

General Comments:

The car is extremely unstable when braking quickly; sometimes even jumps when coming to a sudden stop.

The engine runs well, and I have had no problems with any mechanical issues to date.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2008

19th Sep 2009, 22:59

Unusual problems. Something must be terribly wrong with the bearing mounts, brake assemblies for your problems to come about. Not even rough roads with dirt and dust can cause that kind of wear on bearings and brakes unless you drive like you were in an off-road rally, and do not check for dirt on brakes and remaining grease on bearings.

23rd Aug 2010, 08:05

This is not right - I would let Toyota sort it out. I've had one for just as long and not a single problem. I am sorry to hear about your experience.

25th Feb 2012, 21:13

Maybe the unit you picked has a defect? Driving an Avanza really is not smooth, unless you've got enough load.

2006 Toyota Avanza 1.3 petrol from Malaysia

Summary:

An affordable workhorse for ferrying people

Squeaky rear hatch when being opened. Rectified under warranty.

Very occasional blinking of the "overdrive" light on the instrument pod by itself.

General Comments:

Reliable and tough as nails. Very simple car and hence very little to go wrong.

Poor refinement. Noisy. Harsh and choppy ride.

Build quality is fine but hard-wearing interior trim makes it look low-rent.

Acceleration from the 1.3 fuel injected 16 valve motor is just about sufficient with the very short gearing (4 speed automatic in my case), which affects cruising ability and fuel economy at high speeds.

No airbags nor ABS.

As a 7 seater MPV, it is spacious for passengers considering its size, but poor boot space with the third row seats in use.

Good for urban use, but can wear you out on long distance trips.

Treat it like a white good or appliance and you'll be fine. Just don't expect refinement nor driving excitement.

Review Date: 31st August, 2008

2006 Toyota Avanza 1.3 VVT-i NA (K3-VE) from Malaysia

Summary:

A Great City MPV Worth your Money!!!

A very bumpy car. (but considering it is a MPV, it's still OK as it is not meant to be driven fast).

Bad sound-proof.

General Comments:

Powerful enough for an 1.3 L engine, running on 185/70 R14 wheels, and does 0-100km/h in 14 seconds, having top speed of 160+km/h ; nice engine performance.

No blind spot.

Acceptable fuel consumption (13.37 km / Liter, city drive)

Perfect handling on smooth roads, but never bring it fast on bumpy roads.

Air-Conditioning is good with twin blower.

Review Date: 17th April, 2007

24th Apr 2007, 06:30

Toyota Motor Corp. became the world top auto seller in the first three months of the year, passing rival General Motors Corp. for the first time, the Japanese automaker said Tuesday.

This is the latest news, Toyota has rank WORLD NO :1 for the past 1 quarter!! Hooray... Hooray!!

I owned Altis and VIOS over the past 4 years. I never feel that Toyota quality is compromised despite that they have mass produced cars in the world. One Toyota, One World, this is the Motto of Toyota. Which means, same quality standards across the globe. It is certainly not easy to climb up to the hall of fame, the persistency, perseverance, the hardwork that makes them to be world no ONE!

I think Tun Mahathir called for look east policy is correct, somehow it was not institutionalized across Proton. You can talk until the cows come home... this is exactly what is happening to Proton.

Callum...KL.

15th Jan 2008, 19:23

Haha... I don't think its the car's problem, because this is the first time I heard of this problem amongst all the problems I had known from internet forums.

Have you solved it?

23rd Dec 2008, 08:16

Boring facelift... always cosmetic makeup.

I assume there will be "newer" Avanza, but still the old structure...

24th May 2009, 13:38

Can you please help me, because till now I can't decide which I will purchase 1.5mt or 1.3 mt. Please tell me if the 1.3 has much better performance rather than 1.5.

23rd Dec 2010, 06:44

Hello guys.

Please help me decide what to buy:

A brand new Avanza, 2010 model or 2008 Innova, they have the same price now.

Thank you.