1987 Toyota Camry DX 2.0L from North America

Summary:

$2000 and now it has 220,000 miles on it!

The A/C did not work when I bought it, needing a compressor, condenser and dryer.

The front end has been done (new tie rods ends, struts, and sway bar bushings) and still needs control arm bushings, but are too expensive. This work was done by me at about 210,000 miles.

The alternator went dead at about 195,000 miles or so.

I have replaced the timing belt as a precaution.

General Comments:

The engine is working flawlessly at 220,00 miles!

The suspension still feels squishy even though the entire front end has been replaced.

The interior was immaculate when I bought it and still is as well as durable.

There are lots of neat features in the car (hidden storage in the back, lights turn off automatically, etc.).

The transmission is the weak point-as well as the starter/flywheel. The transmission is not shifting right, skipping second gear, and the starter flywheel problem is about $900 total to fix.

Review Date: 1st July, 2003

1987 Toyota Camry LE 2.0 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Can't this car die?

For as long as I've owned it, there's been no big bad surprises mechanically.

It leaks oil, but did when I got it.

The rear shocks are completely gone, now. Even running on just the springs, it's pretty smooth.

Adding oil every week, and the clutch fluid reservoir leaks, but I can't complain for $500.

General Comments:

Toyota can't seem to do anything wrong, in my eyes.

Has plenty of power for city driving.

Very comfortable ride, nice and roomy.

The power moon roof is a good feature.

Review Date: 28th May, 2003

1987 Toyota Camry LE 2000CC Gasoline from North America

Summary:

Car has lots of power when needed

Car was in great shape (and still is) when I bought it. Changed the front rotors (pulsing brakes),changed the timing belt at same time (to be safe). No repairs since this time. I do change the oil approx. 3x per year (cheap insurance)

General Comments:

This is the best car I've ever owned and I've owned a few! The car drives and looks like new. The metallic blue paint is like new and gleams on sunny days. The interior has all options and is very comfortable (I'm 6 foot 3).I particularly like the velour seats and all the electronic gadgets in the car.

The car currently has 210,000 kms and judging by other reviews I look forward to driving her for years to come.

Sometimes I sit in this car and grin sheepishly when I think that I only paid $5000 for her and don't have a car payment.

If you can find one in good condition-buy it!

Review Date: 2nd April, 2003

25th Apr 2004, 05:56

Recently started driving 1986 Camry LE... The shocks are starting to wear, which gives it a bit too much jounce on rough roads. Also, I've been told by the previous owner to be careful in wet conditions. She mentioned over-steer as an issue. Regardless of the fact that it's Front Wheel Drive? The exhaust rattles a bit, but for a car that is fast approaching 20 and still keeps a tank of fuel per week of metro driving, some niggling problems can be overlooked. It has some surface rust on the undercarriage, but nothing major. Originally from Maryland, it moved to Texas in 1996. Great car, will probably buy another Toyota in the future.

1987 Toyota Camry Station Wagon 2.2 EFI from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

A car without a soul, featureless, unexciting.

3 new head gaskets at 127000, 142000 and 176000 km.

New torque converter at 134000 km.

New engine at 181000 km, including new radiator.

New engine immediately leaked oil and the re-manufacturer was unable to cure the leak.

New CV joints at 156000 km.

General Comments:

The worst car I have ever had the displeasure to own.

Totally unreliable, lousy dealer service, parts prices and service costs exorbitant.

Shocking handling, despite new shockers and suspension rubbers.

The car always pulled to the left, no matter what was attempted to correct the problem.

The first and ONLY Japanese car I will ever own - eventually sold to a scrap dealer.

Review Date: 17th February, 2003