1992 Toyota Camry Reviews

1992 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 from North America

Previous carSaturn SL1

Summary:

I would buy another if this one ever proves itself

Burnt and blow 3/4 a quart of oil from block each day. Replaced the oil pan gasket last weekend; now it only loses 1/2 a quart a day.

Automatic transmission seems to lose power when it goes into overdrive, but runs fine if you click the O/D button to off.

I have another Camry, same year, almost everything the same with a "dropped rod" (it never leaked or burn anything), that I'm gonna take the tranny out of and put in this one. I have never done it before, but I am doing some research on it. Any advice?

General Comments:

This is my second Camry. When running well and properly maintained, they seem to be a quick, comfortable, roomy, and economical car.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2010

1992 Toyota Camry XLE from North America

Model year1992
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Makes a very good car, if you take good care of it and maintain it right

Well, let's see.

The front seats are worn badly, but I plan on solving that little cosmetic problem with seat covers.

Timing belt currently needs changed.

Problem with fuel lines; line is twisted and cracked, therefore leaking and keeping fuel from getting to the engine. I haven't been able to start it for quite a while now.

There's a leak somewhere in gas tank. I'm only able to put a quarter tank of gas in at a time. Any more, and it will all leak out.

Air conditioning doesn't work.

Has been known to stall at inconvenient times, such as at red lights.

Fuel filter may need changed. Can't remember if the previous owner changed it or not.

Trunk will pop open if you hit a bump hard enough.

Wiring problems, I guess you could say. Everything electrical and all lights work fine, but the inside of my trunk is a web of wires, and I can't put anything in there.

SERVICE ENGINE SOON light is constantly on.

Car is loud, but not overbearingly loud, or so loud that it's illegal, however.

General Comments:

Most of the things wrong with my Camry are very cosmetic or just highly annoying. Anything else is just general old car wear-and-tear. The car, as well as myself, is eighteen years of age. I wish I still had my 1998 Cavalier Z24 (was stolen from me by my dad), however, the Camry is still a good car as long as it is cared for properly.

My Camry XLE currently has 100000+ miles on it. I'm not sure of the exact number.

I only use Valvoline Pro-Synthetic oil.

Sound system is amazing; not original to the car, though, I don't think.

This car has been amazing on gas. It'll live on fumes.

Very smooth ride.

This car has been good to me, despite the short time I've owned it so far. However, I do not believe it is reliable, and am keeping an eye out for a new car, which I can afford. I am constantly paranoid that it is going to break down on me or that something else is about to go wrong. I have a very limited budget and cannot afford the repair and towing bills (yes, I have to tow it in order to have my grandfather fix the current fuel line issue due to where I live). I am sad to say that I think my Camry will soon see its better days within the next few years. It's very old, but I love this car and hope to see it run for a few more years.

Review Date: 1st October, 2010

1992 Toyota Camry SE 3.0L V6 from North America

Model year1992
Engine and transmission 3.0L V6 Manual
Most recent distance190000 kilometres

Summary:

Overall a great car, new or old, reliable and competitive

Let me first say that considering the condition of the body and model year, 185348km is most likely not the original mileage, but regardless, not many things have gone wrong, no major problems at least.

Front control arms went bad.

Brake line rusted and leaked.

Manual tranny does not shift smoothly, but still shifts.

Air conditioner broke.

HVAC controls jammed.

Gas cap broke off.

Flex pipe ripped.

Idles low at times.

No serious problems to report.

Trunk lock jammed.

General Comments:

This is a great car all around; it's roomy and powerful, the engine runs smoothly and pulls strong, and is so quiet that you can barely hear it, apart from a deep growl after 3000rpm, which is normal.

The ride is very smooth, but the bumps sometimes radiate though the body, suggesting that something may be wrong with the suspension. Due to a independent rear suspension, the car handles reasonably well, still it rolls a lot into turns.

The interior is large and comfortable, which makes long distance driving easy, considering that I bought this car for $1000, there is nothing left to be desired, judging by how the engines runs now, I can safely say that the engine will outlast the rest of the car.

Review Date: 25th July, 2010

28th Jul 2010, 22:10

That engine/tranny combo is very rare. My friend's mom owned a '91 Camry with the V6 and 5 speed, and I'll never forget how reliable it was and how smooth and strong that engine pulled. The gearing could have been better for highway travel, but the power of the car surprised many people. My buddy wrecked it at 138,000 miles and it still looked brand new, inside and out. What a waste. Almost all V6 Camry's from that era have the automatic transaxle. We have been looking for another 5-speed one in vain.