1997 Toyota Camry Reviews

1997 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 from Australia and New Zealand

Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 3.0 V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

Great vehicle; robust and well built

Rear sway bushes.

Front shock absorbers.

General Comments:

This car is the most reliable car I have owned. If serviced correctly, it is faultless.

Very little road noise.

Great economy for a V6. Effortless automatic 4 speed shift.

The front seats could be more form fitting and comfortable.

Climate air heater controls are difficult to reach while driving.

Review Date: 14th June, 2012

1997 Toyota Camry LE V6 from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

This car is ultra-reliable if well maintained

Mechanically very sound car, has never broken down.

Only regular maintenance has been needed.

The paint is faded in spots, as it has always been parked outside.

The paint is also chipping in from a repair. I was told Toyota has a problem with their white paint.

General Comments:

This has been my mom-mobile for thirteen years.

Things (knobs and handles...) have just started breaking, since my eldest son has been driving it when his is in the shop.

Keeping it for my younger son, and driving it myself the whole time.

Review Date: 27th April, 2012

1997 Toyota Camry Standard 2.2 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Engine and transmission 2.2 petrol Manual
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Terrible; keep away from this shocking vehicle, extremly unreliable, stay away!

Gear stick snapped while I was driving the car.

Head gasket blew at 70,000 Km.

Air conditioning died in the middle of summer.

All electric windows died.

Starter motor had continuous problems all the time I owned the vehicle.

Head lining fell down.

General Comments:

Terrible vehicle, shockingly unreliably, and poor quality. I will never buy a Toyota again.

The BMW I had previously was fantastic, and had no problems at all.

The Volvo I have now is fantastic; I have had no problems with it whatsoever.

Review Date: 11th June, 2011

14th Jun 2011, 10:07

Never try to compare a Toyota with BMW/Volvo/Audi.

Toyota is a mediocre car to take you from point A to B without that much fun/comfort. However, in average it's reliable in doing that job.

Even a look at interior material will tell you the story. Also Toyota is designed to work for a couple of years, not for decades (like Volvo).

1997 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 from North America

Year of manufacture1996
Previous carToyota Camry

Summary:

My favorite car ever

Nothing.

General Comments:

My favorite car ever, and tied for the best car I've ever owned (our 1985 Tercel went 115,000 with no issues, and ran as good when we sold it as the day we bought it).

The only serious money I put into it was the timing belt / water pump at 100k, which was expected. It's never broken down, made funny noises or smells, or used any fluids.

Bought it with 65k, and put 106k more on it in 4 years. Drives smooth, is unbelievably quiet, accelerates nicely, is fairly comfortable, and gets great gas mileage. I've never gotten less than 26 mpg (winter/city) and easily get 33 mpg on the highway in the summer driving 80 mph. One time got 36 mpg driving across Michigan's U.P. at 65 mph with a good tailwind the whole time.

It fits 4 very comfortably with a good size trunk for luggage and golf clubs. Full size spare (never used). What can I say - I love this car!!

Review Date: 2nd September, 2010

1997 Toyota Camry XLE 3.0 from North America

Most recent distance201000 miles
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

Perfect commuter and family car

Cosmetics: the leather seats have cracked and ripped, the plastic on the sun visors has cracked and failed. The plastic knobs on the radio have cracked and fallen off. The clear coat on the exterior paint has started to fail at 170,000 miles/10 years.

General Comments:

Awesome reliability, good power and a great commuter car.

Aside from the cosmetic issues, (we live out in the Arizona desert) this car has been, and still is, a perfect all around daily driver.

The dealer has been very supportive when we need maintenance (what little there has been) and overall, this is the best car I have ever owned, compared to 3 Honda Accords and several Subarus.

All my previous cars were great, but our Toyota Camry is even better...

Review Date: 16th June, 2010

1997 Toyota Camry LE 2.2 Liter 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 2.2 Liter 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Montero

Summary:

Best car I ever owned. I "may" consider selling after I hit 250,000 miles!!!

Valve stem seals were replaced under the 7 year / 100,000 miles extended warranty. This seems to be a typical problem on these 4 cylinders.

No other problems noteworthy of reporting.

General Comments:

Extremely reliable and very comfortable. I've had it since brand new (5 miles) in May 1997. Change oil every 3000 miles. Flush transmission every 15,000. Both a bit of overkill, but a whole lot cheaper than expensive repairs and no real down time.

On this model you have to change timing belt every 60,000 miles. I think in '98 or '99 they switched belts, which require you to change every 90,000 miles. Something to consider if buying a used Camry 4 cylinder. (same body style 1997 - 2001)

I drive mostly around town, but drive from San Francisco bay area to Texas and find car EXTREMELY comfortable. I drive for many hours and get out feeling fit. On highway at 70 mph with A/C on I average just under 33mpg (and it does NOT burn oil). Message is: Spend a few bucks on maintenance and you'll be a happy camper for many miles to come.

Trunk is very adequate, if not large for a vehicle of this size.

I have owned many other vehicles. My family and I have owned 6 Toyotas (Corolla 3, Camry 2, 4Runner 1). They were all excellent. Next car: I will go only to a Toyota dealer.

Review Date: 12th June, 2010

13th Jun 2010, 08:26

I agree with your love of Toyota's. My '96 Corolla has almost 180,000 miles on it now and it still drives and feels like brand new. The only repairs it's needed were a radiator and an exhaust manifold. The rest has just been basic maintenance.

My Corolla does however use a very small amount of oil, and I mean a very small amount; I only have to add about 1/4 of a quart between changes, well within the acceptable range (acceptable range is a quart every 1,000 miles).

I can't complain, it's never let me down.

14th Jun 2010, 16:47

Get ready for your recall. I have been predicting that Toyota would soon be recalling vehicles going back 20 years. I was right. I read today that Toyota is now being investigated for hiding steering defects in vehicles dating back to 1991. And these vehicles were made in JAPAN using JAPANESE parts, so bashing American workers WON'T work this time. Millions in ad hype can't hide the truth forever.

15th Jun 2010, 10:53

I am sure if there is a recall, it won't be a big one. How quickly you forget how many recalls have been placed on domestic cars in the past 20 years.

So now every time someone has a good experience with a Toyota, the recall brigade is going to come running? I'd say buying a Toyota new right now is probably the best thing you could do, as they will more than likely be over designing them to avoid any further recalls. GM and Dodge just announced pretty sizable recalls within the past two weeks, so domestics surely aren't recall proof.

I personally have had the worst luck with domestics, and virtually every import I've owned, back to a 1979 Honda Civic, has been higher quality overall, and mostly trouble free.

29th Jul 2010, 16:32

1997 Camry XLE - 34,500 Miles today. Do I need to change the timing belt as a precaution? This car is pristine, and looks like new in and out.

1st Jun 2012, 11:19

My 1997 Camry LE is less than 500 miles away from hitting 250,000. It's been the best car, and I am still driving it as my main mode of transportation. Never had an issue. Runs great. Gets GREAT gas mileage. No complaints.