2002 Toyota Camry G 2.5 from Indonesia

Summary:

Feels like a Lexus with no fancy gadgets. I'm serious

Some leathers peeled off, probably because of the previous owner.

General Comments:

This is my friend's car, but I ride in it almost every weekend. He bought the used one, the 2002 model.

As soon as I got inside, my first impression was of luxury. I heard that the South East Asian's Camry tends to be more luxurious than the American version in terms of features and materials.

I was welcomed by the smell of the leather. There's leather everywhere. The woods look nice and antique. The interior is also solid made; it feels German.

I can hear some road noise though during the trip, but it's still forgiving and not noisy, after all, what do I expect from a Camry? It's not a Mercedes or something.

I'm impressed with its noise isolation. It's very quiet and peaceful inside, you can hardly hear the honks outside.

The engine is also surprisingly very smooth, and I'm not joking, the smoothness of the engine is almost, or maybe the same as the Mercedes E Class. Here in Indonesia, the car itself is often used as a private limousine, where usually most of the owners have a private hired driver.

There are though some problems, like the pealed leathers and some plastics that can be unattached, but it's a used car, and it starts to get old.

Another problem, which I take personally, is that in here it attracts many people's attention. Probably because this car is also used by the governments. Many annoying people like to stare through the window, and sometimes when I get out from the car, there are people staring for a long time, like they're jealous or something. Anyway, that's not the car's fault LOL.

Another problem is that the leather seats can be quite slippery sometimes, especially when the temperature is cold. The seats, they're super comfortable, but a bit stiff, but it's not too serious.

I also don't like the exterior, which I think is ugly. The front headlights are just too, you know, disproportional. The back light somehow feels like cheapy cars like a Daewoo or something.

Review Date: 9th May, 2011

2002 Toyota Camry LE 2.4 from North America

Summary:

Everything I needed from a car

Belt tensioner.

Water pump (warranty).

General Comments:

We really enjoyed the car, decent power, good mileage, comfortable, big trunk and decent handling. Very few problems other than the water pump, which didn't fail, just started weeping.

The dealer noticed and repaired right away at 80,000km. We would not have gotten rid of it, other than we needed something to tow trailers with.

Review Date: 23rd January, 2011

2002 Toyota Camry LE 2.4 from North America

Summary:

The Camry is an excellent family car. 5/5

Nothing.

General Comments:

So far in the last 10 years, I have ONLY changed tires, spark plugs and generic things, on my 2002 Camry LE.

The car does 0-69mph in 7.5 seconds, and it's amazing on gas, especially on highways.

I cannot believe it when people say they have sooo many issues with their Toyota Camry, I tell them it's a USER PROBLEM, not a car problem :)

Review Date: 11th January, 2011

2002 Toyota Camry XLE 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Annoying engine knock makes me nervous

I am the original owner and the 2002 Toyota Camry XLE is a wonderful car except for 3 annoying things:

1) The sunroof doesn't fully open, 2) the engine knocks and 3) the drivers side window will not handle the "open just a crack" command, but rather always goes down fully and makes me play with it to get it to just be open an inch.

I took the car to the dealership while it was still under warranty for all those, and was told that the sunroof is open as far as it goes, the window is user error, and that they can't find the source of the engine knocking, so I have to wait for it to turn on a warning light or breakdown.

I find all of those reasons lacking credibility.

I change my oil regularly at 3000 miles and use regular unleaded gasoline.

I have learned to live with the issues and don't commute as long as I used to so it doesn't bother me as much anymore. I'm considering trading it in, if I can find a great deal, but it's hard to justify the expense in this economy.

Review Date: 18th May, 2009